Re: [NetEpic ML] Imperator troops, save vs Squat rad bomb

From: Peter Ramos <primarch_at_...>
Date: Fri, 15 Sep 2000 19:16:35 -0400

Hi!

> Hi All!
>
> This debate has been interesting, a bit heated, but interesting.
>
> I'd like to discuss a couple issues.
>

> 1) quester has a valid question. How do we treat units firing out from
> defensive positions, gunports and such?
>
> Let's forget about the Imperator for a moment, and examine the good ol'
> Capitol Imperalis. Area affect weapons, and weapons with cover mods.
> would also affect these troops.
>
> How about all manner of fortifications? Same thing. If we apply one
> rule to one unit, we must do the same for all.
>
> My own opinion is that troops that can fire out, must also be able to be
> fired at. Direct fire, Explosives, you name it, I think the building
> mod. of -2 should apply.

I'm inclined to agree, since it is cheesy ploy to mount a lot a firepower
in a Imperator and know they are safe as long as the Imperator is, anyone
who has played against it knows it not very easy to take out, except with a
little cheese.......

> Sure, the fastest route to destroying troops in a Capitol Imperialis is
> to just blow the damm thing up. But, you could also target the troops
> themselves. A bit of a waste of time, if you ask me, but you could do
> it.
>

> 2) Hellreich also has a good point. If we give units in fortifications
> a 4+ saving throw, we must do the same for the Imperator, Capitol
> Imperialis, etc.
>
> Why do units in fortifications get a 4+ saving throw? Isn't the really
> good saving throw, and cover modifier enough? It seems to me, that
> giving a 4+ save to any infantry, anywhere, is excessive. Especially
> when most infantry doesn't even get a save, normally.

The save I think is okay, remember a fort is reinforced with all sorts of
things, precisely to protect infantry, the save I believe is good as is. Of
course I'd agree if we let people shoot at the troops aboard the Imperator
and other like units separately they MUST have the same 4+ save since these
things are mobile fortresses.

> 3) The Bail Out rule should just apply to normal troop transport
> vehicles. Not to Supers and above.

I can live with this.

Peter