The slann question

From: peter ramos <ramospeter_at_...>
Date: Tue, 10 Oct 2000 08:46:19 EDT

Hi!

I would think Teras the original creator of the Slann would be very happy to
see all the interest his creation has engendered!

First point.

The slann can and will draw a lot of attention since they are "new". there
is always a perception of something not being "right" with such armies,
especially one so out of the ordinary. Compounding the issue is that there
is not equivalent to them to compare and thus balance.

Keep in mind that ALL armies have units that are way too good for points.
Thats the nature of the game.

Second point.

Testing in a vaccum has its drawbacks. First when you line up the units your
testing and just have a mock close combat or shooting fest the results look
very reliable on the surface. Unfortunately this is deceptive. When you do
this you take out of the equation all the other variables that effect the
combat you are testing. I agree that a necron raider company by the numbers
seems to perform extremely well, but hte question is how often will you get
that whole comapny intact to where its going? By the actual playtest not
very likely. This of course alters performance. By most accounts of games
played the assault necrons while potent receive many casualties and break
easily. Remember you get only 16 stands for 750 points, you get nearly 30
units in a tactical marine company for the same cost and they can shoot,
while the necron raider cannot. This should not be underestimated. If you
let these necron get into combat they can and will nuke you back to the
stone age. Is this wrong? Probably not. If they made it intact you didn't
defend properly and will pay the price.

Third point

Although we could not play the scheduled game this weekend (it will be next
weekend) i was shocked on how small a force you get for the points in a
necron army, smaller even than the Eldar. While some of the troops are real
good in combat it is so easy to swarm and break, and mind you I dont mean
swarm the whole group but you can easily swarm enough of them to break them
and not in turn break the unit you use to do it. This is a dstinct
disadvantage for them.

Fourth point

In the end we have to play actual games nothing else will suffice. This
weekend I will play a couple against the slann, using mostly necron to see
what they can do. Also it seems the track record under the new revised rules
has been less than sterling. In ed's/darius's group the slann have 3 losses
one draw and I think no wins. The last post from Nils and company the slann
lost. Isn't it funny we are trying to change them downwards when they
actually haven't won a solid victory yet? Keep that in mind too.

Just some thoughts.