Re: [NetEpic ML] The slann question

From: warprat <warprat_at_...>
Date: Tue, 10 Oct 2000 07:49:45 -0700

Hi Peter!

I agree that the best course of action would be to leave the Slaan unit
stats alone, for the time being.

Yesterday, I started reading the rules for the Slaan. Comparing the
action in Nils/Runes battle, with the Slaan units involved.

The Fluff created for the Slaan is excellent. Hellreich, and Rune (Did
I forget someone?) should be quite proud of the work they have done.
All of the units seem to be fairly well ballanced. The army is quite
well rounded, and has a unit for just about everything. It's weakness
being the high cost and fewer numbers of troops. The break points are
about equal to the Eldar.

In reading about the Slaan, I came across the Necron. The Necron units,
like Wraithguard, have no morale problems. So, they can fight to the
last stand. They also self repair. The combination of Morale and self
repair can combine to equal higher numbers of troops.

This is what concerns me most about these units. Yes, the units ARE
smaller. But does that REALLY matter?

In reading the battle report, I was alarmed to see that the Roughrider
Company was decimated, without giving back some of the same to the
Necrons. That really got me thinking.

Of course, the next thing I did was to create the vaccum battle
examples, with units I know well. Although they don't tell the whole
story that only repeated playtesting can, they do eliminate the
variables of terrain, luck, playing style, etc...

Such testing can give an indication of problems. In my mock battle, I
used company sized units. But detachments could just as easily have
been used.

Your point about each army, having it's own bargain units is well taken.
What can seem to be an overwealming unit, may be necessary to ballance
the army as a whole.

An example of which is the Wave Serpent. My Ork playing pal used to
give me a bad time for taking them. He would cry, "They're sooo
unfair!" After much complaining, I finally suggested that we switch
armies. He agreed, and we had one of best games I've ever played.

Now mind you, he still complains a little about the Wave Serpents, but
not as much as he used to. That battle convinced him to build an Eldar
army of his own.

It helps, to play the other guys army. Things that seemed unfair, seem
not so unfair, after the table has been reversed. I hope that
Hellreich, and Runes groups will try passing the command of the Slaan
around between members, to better playtest it.

In the final analysis, only repeated playtesting will suffice. But
vaccuum testing can give a valuable, heads up, to possible ballance
issues. Issues I will key into, when reading battle reports, or playing
my own battles.

Warprat ;)