RE: [NetEpic ML] RE: [Net Epic ML] Slann victorious again?

From: <nils.saugen_at_...>
Date: Wed, 11 Oct 2000 09:36:01 +0200

Hi,

I don't think the Necron Assault ability to warpjump is to powerfull, in
fact i think it is a great unit. As Rune has pointed out there is a chance
that the Necron will get lost in the warp and scatter 3d6 cm, which is quite
a lot. In a detachment of 5 stands if more than one of your troops should
deviate and pop out somwhere betveen 3 and 18 cm away from the rest of the
unit, you could find your self cut off and destroyed. Secondly the stats of
the Necron Assaults may seem horrendous on paper and they perform pretty
well. You have to outnumber them 3 to 1 in order to secure a victory. In
retrospect of our last game I should have taken 2 roughrider companies, the
beastmen almost didn't see any action due to their low speed. In this battle
I made one of my flanks to weak (just one detachment of roughriders, with no
sentinels to support them!) and suffered from that, on the other flank the
battle was evenly fought, and the beastmen would have made pancakes of the
remainin necrons on that flank in the following turn.

My point is, even though the Assault Necrons is a very powerfull unit they
will breake very easily (8 stands). You would need to outnumber them 2 or 3
to 1 in order to secure sucsess, but you know that and can plan for it!
Always use supporting fire from advancing units to mop up the survivng
Necrons from the CC. But the one thing we shouldn't do, is to make the
Necrons thouger to breake! This is their great weeknes, and IMH the sole
reason for the unit not beeing overly cheesy!!! Sure its a powerfull unit
indeed, but that makes them all that more challenging to fight against. Let
them have a go at a couple of detachmends of striking scorpions........ I
think the scorpions will take them out! We often forget that each and every
army has got very powerfull units/weapons. IG has Warp/Vortex Missiles,
Ordinarius vehicles, and the artillery (In the early days my opponent often
complained that the artillery was waaaaay to powerfull), somebody thinks
that IG and SM combinations are cheesy although they are clearly ment to be
combined in all official material from GW. The Squat Colossus is relatively
cheap and increadbly powerfull, Wave serpents, pulse lasers, Nova cannon,
the list goes on and on. But you know how they work so you can plan on how
to meet them, and IMO thats the thrill of the game.

For all of you who are interested in the Slann, try them out for a couple of
games before passing judgement. If you still think the army is to powerfull,
then suggest the changes you think will improve the Slann/Necrons, and we
will discuss them in this forum!

Nils