NetEpic WW2 (loong)

From: Weasel Fierce <septimus__at_...>
Date: Tue, 31 Oct 2000 09:39:01 GMT

The system uses d10 for saving throws, to-hit rolls, close combat and morale
rolls.

The basics are:

Troops:

Movement:
Infantry have a movement rate of 5 cm.
Cavalry have a movement of 10 cm.

Low movement rates makes close combat less likely to occur, which is more
realistic. Also, it makes transportation much more important.

Saving throws:
Infantry units do not normally posses saving throws.
The exception being british troops wearing MRC body armor towards the end of
the war. They would have an 8+ saving throw.
I am considering to give a 10+ save to regualr infantry as well, to
represent steel helmets and the likes. It would only serve a purpose against
barrages from light weapons such as mortars.

Close assault factors:
Base CAF is +4.
Troops carrying heavy weaponry like MG's, mortars etc. suffer -2 (total CAF
of +2)
Artillery crews and the likes suffer -3
Assault troops +1 (assault troops cover troops armed with large numbers of
assault weapons like SMG's, sturmgewehrs, flamethrowers and carbines. Forces
such as paratroopers, german assault engineers, russian SMG infantry,
british commandos etc.)
Veteran or very well trained forces +1 (SS, fallscirmjaegers, US marines,
russian guards and similars)

I would also like a few modifiers to assault rolls.
Most notably a +1 for charging, but also a +1 for difficult terrain and
higher ground. Broken troops are -4

Morale:
Base morale is 6.
Well trained, motivated or experienced troops +1 (British troops, US
marines, german troops)
Elite forces +2 (SS, british commandos)
Poor troops -1 (Russian and italian troops)

Weaponry:

I have not mentioned the heaviest of weapons as they have little relevance
in infantry conflicts. When we get to armor and stuff, they will be
important.

Range:

Weaponry:
Pistols 15 cm.
Pistols would be limited to command stands if used at all

SMGs 20 cm.
SMG troops cover units using submachineguns as their primary weapon, such as
various paratroops and russian SMG units. Troops fighting in urban
situations also used large numbers of SMG's
SMG's are very milited in range, about 30 yards for effective fire. This
makes 20 cm. too much compared to rifles, but I assume that such troops
would have limited rifle and LMG support as well.

Carbines 30 cm.
Covers american forces with M1 and M2 carbines. Possibly also russian units
with SKS (I think I read somewhere that this weapon was developed during the
war but Im not sure. Anyone who knows about this???)

Bolt-action rifles 35 cm.
Covers units armed with bolt-action rifles. The majority of forces would be
armed in this fashion

Semi-auto rifles 35 cm.
Forces equipped with selfloading rifles. Most american troops are of this
kind, the germans would have limited numbers available (G41 and 43)

Auto rifles 30 cm.
Troops with automatic rifles. Only germans would have these (FG 42 and StG
44).
Assault rifles of this age are hardly accurate weapons and so a slight
reduction in range is in order.

LMG 35 cm.
Support units with light machineguns like the Bren, BAR, Chauteleraut (or
however the damn french LMG is spelled) and russian DP)

MMG 50 cm.
Support units with medium machineguns firing from bipods or tripods. Covers
Browning .30 cal, MG34 and 42, Vickers and many more

HMG 65 cm.
Big beasties with calibers of 50+. Honestly I can only remember the american
M2

Rocket launchers 25 cm.
Rocket armed anti-tank teams like bazookas and panzerschrecks. Possible also
the british PIAT

Light mortar 50 cm.
Small mortars like the american 60mm

Medium mortar 75 cm.
Medium sized mortars around 80mm

Flamethrowers 15 cm.

Attacks:

Perhaps we could use a system similar to the one for tarantulas?
Troops advancing fire only about half the shots in the advance phase, troops
first firing get to fire the other half of their attacks in the first fire
segment.
This rule should propably not be used for SMG's since they are assault type
weapons.

Pistols 1

SMGs 3
This should propably be increased to 4 for russian units (the notorious PPSh
41)

Carbines 2
This should be 3 for american troops in 1945 (the M2 carbine)

Bolt-action rifles 1

Semi-auto rifles 2

Auto rifles 3

LMG 3

MMG 4
This would be 5 for MG34 and 6 for MG42

HMG 3-4
Not quite sure of this one.

Rocket launchers 1

Light mortar 1

Medium mortar 1

Flamethrower 1

To-hit number:

modifers are soft cover -1, hard cover -2, fortified -3, large target (Tiger
etc.) +1, stationary targets in open terrain +1 (don't know about this one
but would emphasize speed and blitzkrieg)

Pistols 8+

SMGs 8+
SMG's are not very accurate, emphasising firerate over pinpoint accuracy )or
even accuracy at all)

Cabines 7+

Bolt-action rifles 7+
This seems as a good standard number for to-hit rolls

Semi-auto rifles 7+
Germans using the G41 might possibly be penalized to 8+ to reflect poor
accuracy and reliability of this weapon, but this might be thought of as
compensated for by superior training.

Auto rifles 7+ or 8+
This one depends really. StG's was not very accurate, so treating them as
SMG's with respects to the to-hit roll seems fair. On the other hand the
FG42 fired full-sized rifle ammo from a bipod and should definately be 7+

LMG 7+

MMG 7+

HMG 7+

Rocket launchers 8+
Rocket weapons are not very accurate.

Light mortar use a barrage point system.

Medium mortar ---

Flamethrower 6+
Would also ignore cover as well

Saving throw modifiers:

Pistols -0

SMGs -0

Carbines -0

Bolt-action rifles -1

Semi-auto rifles -1

Auto rifles -1

LMG -1

MMG -1

HMG -2

Rocket launchers -3 (PIAT), -4 bazooka, -5 panzerschreck

Light mortar -0

Medium mortar -0

Flamethrowers -2

Anyone have further thoughts on these basic ideas before I go into unit
design and stuff????

Weasel