RE: [NetEpic ML] NetEpic WW2 (loong)

From: <jyrki.saari_at_...>
Date: Wed, 1 Nov 2000 11:55:58 +0200

I see, In that case a bazooka unit wouldn't have many stands (probably just
one stand or two at most), since they weren't that numerous. Only about two
per platoon.

> Alternatively we could make tanks heavier (2+ or 1+ armor).
> Also, destroying
> a tank might reflect damaging or immobilizing it, resulting
> in the crew
> bailing out

I would definetely recommend using the full range available.

> How would you do a penetration system???

Quick and dirty way: by converting armor and penetration values from an
existing system. That wouldn't be ultra-realistic but close enough for most.
I would probably use Battleground WWII since it uses a d20.

> Could you come up with some examples on how this should work?

Each AT capable weapon would have a penetration rating and instead of save
each tank would have armor value. When a hit is scored the armor is
subtracted from the penetration. The resulting number is what the shooting
player must roll <= to destroy the tank. The armor value is massively
reduced if shooting from the side or rear. Personally I would like each tank
have two armor values (front and side/rear) to increase realism, but since
this opinion is unlikely to get general approval I must be content with just
one.

To address the possibility of even a small AT gun of hitting a weak spot a
critical hit would occur whenever the firer rolls an unmodified "1" on the
to-hit roll. In this case the penetration number is doubled (straight from
ASL, I admit, but why invent the wheel the second time?).

Example: Let's say a PzII has armor of 2. It is hit by a 45mm AT gun with a
penetration of 8. The firer must roll 6 or less (8-2) to destroy the tank.
If the firer had rolled a "1" the penetration would have been 16 and the
tank would have been automatically destroyed, since it is not possible to
roll over 14 on a d10.

Of course, this is radically different from the save based system of
NetEpic, and may even be too complex for the "simple faction". However, this
is my take on the system.

Jyrki Saari

-There is no such thing as free lunch because eating takes time and time is
money.