Re: damage rolls thought

From: Dave <warprat_at_...>
Date: Tue, 28 Nov 2000 17:41:21 -0000

Hi Thomas!

This is a GREAT idea!

I used to think it wonderfull that a Las Pistol could do just as much
damage as a Plasma Destructor. After playing a bit more, I've done a
180 degree turn.

Big weapons should have a better chance to do huge dammage, little
weapons should have less of a chance. 1d6 just doesn't cut it.

I was going to post a simular idea with the title "The Absurd", but
you beat me to it. Frankly, I hadn't considered the up/down die, but
it is one hell of a great idea.

I've already talked to my group, we're going to try something
differnt in our next game. I think we will probably use YOUR idea,
unless someone can think of anything to improve it.

I'll post our thoughts sometime after we play, hopefully next week.

Thanks for posting!!!

Warprat ;)

--- In netepic_at_egroups.com, "Thomas Lawson" <Kurmark_at_i...> wrote:
> Now that I am getting into statistics studies a bit I decided I
should apply
> some of what I am learning.
>
> For damage rolls we could finally make the strength of a weapon
influence
> the damage roll very easily. Get a blank 6 sided dice. Write Up 1,
Up 2,
> Down 1 and Down 2 on four different sides respectively. Leave two
sides
> blank. Now when a Chaos Marine stand hits a Titan on the head and
the Titan
> fails its save, assume the damage level to start at 1 on the damage
chart
> for the head. The -1 on the Chaos Marine missile launcher matches
the damage
> level on the chart. Then roll the probability dice you just
created. At best
> the missile launcher will come up by 2 on the dice to a 3 on the
damage
> chart. For a Plasma Destructor the damage level on the chart starts
on 6 to
> match the save modifier, but if the target is lucky the probability
may
> bring down the damage to level 4.
>
> Each time a location is damaged, the level of the damage must move
up by 1
> no matter what. A location at damage 3 hit by a lascannon and
failing its
> save is automatically raised to damage 4.
>
> But this all makes sense. A Plasma Destructor should do more damage
than the
> missile launcher. This would do much to sway the scale from random
kills
> from crappy weapons and random failures-to-damage from mega-weapons.
>
> No new rolls are created, we would simply replace the random roll
for damage
> that we already do. Game costs shouldn't be skewed too much.
Heavier weapons
> get better at hurting big targets and weaker weapons get worse at
damaging
> big targets. Titans at least could ignore infantry a little bit
more. Only
> weapons with a -4 at minimum can roll up a 6 on a chart. Weapons
like the
> Volcano cannon that have a modifier on damage can simply roll a d6
like
> usual and add the bonus. It makes the weapon unique in that it
rolls a
> minimum damage of 4, but an average of 6. So a Volcano cannon with
its bonus
> is still better than a weapon with a -4 TSM and no damage bonus. A -
5 TSM
> weapon without bonus has a 33% chance of rolling up a 6 or greater,
while
> the Volcano cannon has a 66% chance of rolling a 6 or greater.
>
> In effect, weapons that have damage bonuses simply remain the same
and are
> still potent compared to the probability curve rolling for other
weapons
> without bonuses.
>
> Did I confuse anyone?
>
> I may try to test this out, but who knows if my friends will
complain.