Re: [NetEpic ML] damage rolls thought

From: quester <quester666_at_...>
Date: Tue, 28 Nov 2000 07:45:58 -0800 (PST)

 and some of us think Titans are to hard to kill now this will make them god like and you will never kill a bug titan LOL

  Thomas Lawson <Kurmark_at_...> wrote:
Now that I am getting into statistics studies a bit I decided I should apply
some of what I am learning.

For damage rolls we could finally make the strength of a weapon influence
the damage roll very easily. Get a blank 6 sided dice. Write Up 1, Up 2,
Down 1 and Down 2 on four different sides respectively. Leave two sides
blank. Now when a Chaos Marine stand hits a Titan on the head and the Titan
fails its save, assume the damage level to start at 1 on the damage chart
for the head. The -1 on the Chaos Marine missile launcher matches the damage
level on the chart. Then roll the probability dice you just created. At best
the missile launcher will come up by 2 on the dice to a 3 on the damage
chart. For a Plasma Destructor the damage level on the chart starts on 6 to
match the save modifier, but if the target is lucky the probability may
bring down the damage to level 4.

Each time a location is damaged, the level of the damage must move up by 1
no matter what. A location at damage 3 hit by a lascannon and failing its
save is automatically raised to damage 4.

But this all makes sense. A Plasma Destructor should do more damage than the
missile launcher. This would do much to sway the scale from random kills
from crappy weapons and random failures-to-damage from mega-weapons.

No new rolls are created, we would simply replace the random roll for damage
that we already do. Game costs shouldn't be skewed too much. Heavier weapons
get better at hurting big targets and weaker weapons get worse at damaging
big targets. Titans at least could ignore infantry a little bit more. Only
weapons with a -4 at minimum can roll up a 6 on a chart. Weapons like the
Volcano cannon that have a modifier on damage can simply roll a d6 like
usual and add the bonus. It makes the weapon unique in that it rolls a
minimum damage of 4, but an average of 6. So a Volcano cannon with its bonus
is still better than a weapon with a -4 TSM and no damage bonus. A -5 TSM
weapon without bonus has a 33% chance of rolling up a 6 or greater, while
the Volcano cannon has a 66% chance of rolling a 6 or greater.

In effect, weapons that have damage bonuses simply remain the same and are
still potent compared to the probability curve rolling for other weapons
without bonuses.

Did I confuse anyone?

I may try to test this out, but who knows if my friends will complain.

eGroups Sponsor

"Is it time to play?"