Re: [NetEpic ML] alternate figures and deja vu...Ian Mcdowall.

From: peter ramos <ramospeter_at_...>
Date: Wed, 06 Dec 2000 10:35:29 -0500

Hi!

Well put Bob! I think we all go through a similar phase. I at one time owned
virtually every single historical rule set out there and never got to play
but a handful of them. Over time I have sold off most of them and have
concentrated on only those I really get to play or have a great passion for
(WWII microarmor for example).

Although I have a lot of bones to pick with GW, there is no question what a
great contribution they have made to the wargaming scene. Their minis are
quite fabulous and it was that after all what got most of us into the hobby.

One thing I have learned over these years is the ability to mix models of
different companies and not feel bad about. <sigh> Yes I was too a GW clone
some 5-6 winters ago and I really had a thing of using only official minis
with official rules. Net epic has cured that for good. Like yourself and Ian
I can no longer buy rules and accept them as is nor can I just sit back and
wait to be spoon fed more rules and units. Now I demand to do that myself. I
think thats a good thing, it makes the hobby better and more fun.

I'd like to really highlight Bob's comments on GZG figs. If you play IG or
marines do yourself a favor and buy their 6mm line, they make absolutely
beautiful IG type infantry and the power armor guys look better than GW
marines. If you like Tyranids their "bug" make very good substitutes. Even
though fanatic will make most of the stuff available (so they claim) it
still is expensive so GZG is definately worth everyones time.

I know the feeeling in being in a "player poor" enviorment, I was in one for
the last year. In defense of collecting this is were it comes in handy, if
you got a lot of stuff, solo-gaming can be gratifing. Thank the gods I found
Ed and Darius's group, its good to have fun with actual people again, as
pointed out gaming in a social activity and its much fun to share good times
with fellow gamers and friends.

Peter