Re: Re: [NetEpic ML] Invisible Lictors

From: <salzanzibar_at_...>
Date: Sun, 17 Dec 2000 01:36:02 EST

I believe the idea of invisibility was taken to an absolute extreme and hence
out of context to the topic at hand. If the Player opposing Tyranids cannot
target the models in ANY way shape or form until they are spotted via an
model from the Players side within 25cm, it is inherently obvious that it is
undetectable by normal methods and is in a sense invisible to the Player. If
the units are to be fielded on the board, the advantage of this
characteristic is lost completely and will be used against the inherit
ability of the Lictors to its full extent. The are some "subtle" differences
between the Lictor and any scouts are there not? Like the fact that the scout
is merely trying to remain hidden from observation to provide ordinance
guidance; whereas the Lictor is a hunting, stalking type of adversary who's
entire design is stealth and destruction.
  I believe the obvious truth is that while I may not directly target any
scouts or Lictors via direct or indirect fire, but I could if I wish fire ant
any other given space on the board/ table, discredits the entirety of the
game and removes any strategy potential that was inherent to the racial
design in the first place. Obviously if they are protected from any
targeting, they are unseen to the army that faces them, else they would be
targeted and destroyed. To suggest otherwise is absurd in the extreme.
  So it was, that my suggestion to remove them from the table and keep track
of the units in a virtual board or map of the board until the opposing sides
forces discovered them within 25cm as per the rules. If they are on the
table, no matter how well the person may be at ignoring the obvious (a
prevalent skill but ill practiced) they are undoubtedly aware of what it is
and its capabilities and will use that information to their advantage every
time. If the spotters were removed from the table, the opposing team could
perhaps notice that the barrages were a tad bit too accurate and suspect a
spotter nearby, (in the woods perhaps, likely even) and barrage the suspected
area or send troops to investigate.
  Why must we know in advance where their command units are but not target
them, why can I destroy any building or barrage any centimeter of the board
at my whim, but not a command unit or scout type. These rules make no sense
to any strategist worthy of breathing the air of life. This inept reasoning
has left what little spirit or resemblance to the Warhammer 40k universe may
have had to offer in the shit can. What you've created in its wake is a mere
clone of a strategy intensive game that leaves no mystery or surprise. If
the only alteration to the strategy is die roles, then I pity the poor
imagining of those unfortunate enough to waste a moments breath in playing
it. So while you may placate yourselves with the thought that there are some
out here reading into the rules and coming up with wild theories as to their
use, spend a simple quite moment in eager contemplation of what the rules
mean to you in the first place. They are a tool to facilitate the enjoyment
of a reasonably true to form strategy game that can be enjoyed and completed
in a reasonable length of time and setup.
  I would suggest that most if not all of those who play this type of game
are in a small group that keeps to themselves and rarely get involved in any
tournament style interaction. This allows for house rules that may differ
greatly from the basic rules available for those incapable of delving any
further than mere observance of simplistic and unrealistic rules. You and
doubtless others have a different opinion.