Re: [NetEpic ML] Return of the slann

From: Hellreich <helreich_at_...>
Date: Thu, 8 Feb 2001 21:37:42 -0800

> WARP JUMP
>
> Too messy too many die rolls. I like one dice affairs and the one we
> used in our last games was quick easy and still packs a punch. It
> applies to all warp jump troops be they mechs or not.
>
> Roll a D6 and consult the table:
>
> 0 or less, lost in the warp, remove model
> 1-2, jump works, but scatters 3d6, model confused and may not act this
turn
> 3-4, jump works fine, but is slightly off, scatter 1d6, unit CAN fire
> weapons
> 5-6, perfect jump, no scatter or restrictions
>
> Units such as mages or other notables add a bonus of +1 or +2 to the roll.
>
> Jumps in excess of 40cm subtract -1 from the roll per 10cm of extra jump
> move, there is no limit to the jump distance although penalties will
> make it difficult after a certain distance.
>
> What does this mean?
>
> First there are no "free rides" all jumps carry risk, but if you notice,
> if you keep below 40cm, you will NEVER lose models due to a jump, with
> the standard leaders in place and a +1 bonus perfect jumps occur 50% of
> the time and the possiblility of "non-action is rediced to one in 6.
> Still EXTREMELY effective. Also the enemy need beware, the slann make
> take risks and jump to phenomenal lengths. With certain leader units
> even longer jumps can be safer, but risk is always there.
>
> This worked great in the actual game, slann players and nonm-slann
> players really liked this change-its a keeper.
> ?? Cool I like this and think it works much better then all the flippy
dice rolls, pick your spot on the borad place a mech then roll no pre
measure. Place one Mech then measure to it, add any pluses or minuses, then
roll dice to see what happens.

> ARMY COMPOSITION
>
> This one I'd like to nip in the butt. Why not treat these exodite and
> necron arms like we do IG and tech guard? To SEPARATE, but related
> groups. Each has its own list that the other can NEVER use, and some
> overlapping units. Its much simpler this way and you avoid having too
> good a selections.
> ?? Another good idea, I assume you mean things like under army composition
you will list units that that army may use from other list. Like under Slann
it would say you may choose Necron infantry and light tanks from the Necron
list, and you may choose infantry only from the Exodus list, or something
to this.

> STANDARIZE WEAPONS
>
> Mainly my fault with poor editing, certain weapons should have overall
> uniform stats like:
>
> Minigun, 25cm, 2 attack dice, 5+ to hit, 0 modifier
> Heavy minigun, 25cm, 2 attack dice, 5+ to hit, -1 modifier
> Turbo minigun, 25cm, 4 attack dice, 5+ to hit, -1 modifier
>
> Battlesuit missile attack dice reduced to 1, 2 dice is TOO good.
>
> Conversion beamer 50cm range,2 attack dice, 4+ to hit, -d3 modifier
> ?? all agreeable to me

> GREAT MAGUS
>
> Many problems with the powers too overblown.
>
> Subjugation, this power permits double actions (a big no, no), the power
> should read "affects unit that has not been activated", still powerful,
> but within reason.
>
> Nullify psychic, this is an automatci power, too good, power successful
> on roll of 3+, still good but now within reason.
>
> His CAF is reduced to +4, he doens't really fight much, his +1
> initiative is substituted with a +2 bonus for warp jumps, thats his job
> after all. Attack dice is 1 with a 4+ to hit.
> ?? Boo hiss hiss boo. Want your play test proof well just look at the
Eldar powers before you go through with this.
> EXODUS UNITS
>
> Exodus to hits are too high, these guys are good as marines that have a
> 5+ to hit, so should they.
>
> Boltcaster modifier to high, reduced to -2. To hit will be 4+
>
> Exodus saves are too high, again using the marine analogy their vehicle
> saves are now 4+ for the mantis and 3+ for the frog.
>
> Weapons of the warchief ignores cover.
>
> Great skink to hit 4+.
>?? Boo hiss hiss boo, we will have to redo the cost of them, if you make
them the same as Marines then we need to lower the cost. As it is they are
not over powering right now and they match the fluff of them being a better
race. Keep in mind they do not get transports, only in the company card
level, so would need to be better troops with better saves.