RE: [NetEpic ML] Return of the Slann first test: (long)

From: peter ramos <ramospeter_at_...>
Date: Wed, 21 Feb 2001 09:21:02 -0500

Hi!

>Very good suggestions :) Guess ill advocate some more
>for implementing the snap fire rules. Nils and Eivinds
>main argument here, is that it takes more time and
>requires bookeeping. As far as i can see, neither of
>these arguments are valid. You simply fire with a detachment
>in the movement phase instead of the FF phase, then remove
>the order marker. Same as you do anyways :)

Exactly. Beleive me, I have used snap fire since its introduction. Heavily
playtested. There is really NO book keeping, since, as you mentioned, you
just remove the first fire counter from a unit that snap foires and thats
it, it used its turn. Also you dont use snap fire as much as people tend to
think. As a matter of fact except in very specific situations, you dont use
it at all since shooting with a -1 to hit is very bad yield. Most games are
played with snap fire never figuring in them, or used one or twice in a
whole game. Play speed is the same with or without snap fire.

It also gives all armies a benefit, even IG have robotic units like robots
and tarantulas whose worth is now even greater since they snap fire without
penalty.

Your group is missing a good, useful and very balanced tool. It may be
thought the rule may benefit the slann, but its a two-edged sword. Imagine
your opponents mowing down your knights who have just made a non-perfect
warp jump-Ouch! it works both ways.