Re: [NetEpic ML] D10 system for epic

From: Graham Whitehead <graham_at_...>
Date: Wed, 28 Feb 2001 21:39:09 -0000

Hi Peter,

I have always been a fan of systems using larger dice. After all, a d6 only
offers 6 different strengths of weapon (or whatever) from handgun to titan
weapon. Because of this we have to make the weapons stronger or weaker by
adding in a range of other factors (modifiers, number of dice rolled etc).
The advantage in using a d10 / d20 whatever, is that you need less modifiers
to factor in, as you can put more diversity into the original roll.

I feel however, that if you are going to keep the rules system, and the
method of calculating shooting, as it is now, then you lose the advantage of
a more streamlined system. This just leaves the advantage of a wider spread
of 'ability'. If you were to make a 6+ to hit a 10+ (which you would have
to, as a 9+ would make it easier than 6+ on a d6), you could then make the
easiest shot a 2+ giving 9 possible levels and more variety.

This then makes it more than simply a matter of changing the numbers to hit,
to save etc. Because the comparative abilities of units will change,
relative to each other, then the points values will need to be changed or
the game balance will alter and players will play top heavy armies using the
units which benefit most from the change (the ones hitting on the lowest
number), infantry now having only a 1 in 10 chance of hitting, with basic
weapons, will become overpriced and underused. In short, the whole system
has to change or the game becomes unbalanced.

Although an 'Epic Lite' game using a more streamlined system, using d10s or
d20s to keep the variety, might be interesting, it would be a LOT of work
which I feel would ultimately take the time and effort away from the regular
NetEpic system.

I feel that, using the principle of 'if it ain't broke, don't fix it', we
should leave well alone and concentrate on refining the current system.

Oh well, that's my 2p worth,
Graham