RE: [NetEpic ML] Titan CC

From: Trygve Bj�rnstad <trygve_at_...>
Date: Mon, 5 Mar 2001 10:39:07 +0100

> This is only one of the things i find strange about some
> chaos powers. Like the way some dont discriminate between
> good units or lousy ones. The burning bodies card,
> for example. Since its a non-physical psychic card,
> it doesnt differenciate between units. No matter if
> they are 0 CAF infantry with no save which are
> a dime a dousin, or Vanguards with 4+ fixed save.
> These cards may not be that valuable when playing
> against f.ex IG, they are indeed game killers when
> played against the Slann. Not to mention that
> every time we play chaos, there are A LOT of discussions
> about rules and powers. The result is always : "Can
> affect any unit" or "Can be played at any time".
> I agree its in chaos' nature to be unpredictable,
> but if they were this good, they'd have overrun
> the universe a long time ago....Who can stand a chance
> except those who have units like the astropath?

The powers ARE good, that's why so many armies have special anti-chaos
units. Slann doesn't get these, but as they are immune to morale checks, I
feel this evens out the mightiest chaos power - FEAR!

> Our chaos player has also adopted a very good strategy
> against us. He simply hides his demons, so that
> we cant take any cards away from him, and use
> his legions and juggers to attack. VERY effective
> in conjunction with some of the awesome "no save, no how"
> powers/cards. I've pointed out that a demon would
> probably not hide behind buildings, and would certainly
> not retreat into the setup zone to hide behind a
> building. He certainly agrees to this, but there are
> no rules against this, and wont admit that its
> cheesy. Its in fact a very sound tactic! Never mind
> that the demons behave like cowards :)

Hello??? If I can reach CC with my demons, I do! This is where their power
is. If you're referring to saturday's game, 3 out of 5 demons charged
forward to fight enemy units. Two demons were trapped in the middle with
nothing to fight. If they had moved out of cover, you would have had roughly
50 shots to take them out. Why on earth would I do that? Would you use your
mages to charge into an area I control? The fact that they're greater demons
do not mean that they're stupid...

> Like the game we played yesterday. Slann/SM vs. Chaos and
> Renegade armies. After 2 rounds, Chaos 104? Slann/SM 46 i
> think.. Both armies made mistakes, and they had quite
> a few lucky dice rolls (like taking out a scout titan
> with 3 shots from HW infantry. BUT, its just too good
> when they can charge an OP, make the unit invis after CC,
> and noone can shoot in. And take out a titan in one
> average rolled shot.

No, it took Magnus the red two turns to take out the titan. You didn't even
use your titan, you just tried to hide it from Magnus. If it is cowardous to
hide a demon, how about hiding a titan?

> And take over a necron detachment
> after the overtakers had moved (no save of course,
> why would there be any, they're "chaos powers" after
> all), then play a chaos card on that very same detachment
> (after CC) and charge 10 more cms to another detachment.
> One by one, they're not gamekillers. Together, they
> are. With chaos cards, you can always adjust. They're
> more than equalizers. Before i played chaos, i saw
> the discussions going on on this list, but i never
> really took any notice of them. Now i understand what
> they were all griping about..

You lost on saturday because:
1) You did not field a single barrage weapon against 10K worth of chaos.
Hello??? How about using Slann titans with huge templates?
2) Eivind held his precious grey knights until round two, only to hide them
inside a building. Why did he field them?
3) Chaos had a triple backup plans for each single objective on the board.
Didn't seem like you had any...
4) Nils had some wonderfully lucky rolls...

> The good news is that we all agreed the Slann look good
> now. We thought the necron titan is overpriced at 750,
> but thats just after one game. Against another army,
> it might be more balanced. I can certainly understand
> why noone wanted to play against the Slann before
> they were balanced (except Nils of course, he loves
> to be the underdog), i have just the same feeling
> against chaos. I cant imagine how its possible to
> beat chaos with the orks for example...

We haven't tried that yet... maybee we should??