Re: [NetEpic ML] Implications of "epic" proportions

From: Peter Ramos <primarch_at_...>
Date: Thu, 05 Apr 2001 18:37:23 -0400

Hi!

I could not have expressed it better. I consider myself and amateur
games designer and I am always tinkering and making stuff. The FIRST
thing I learned while making some games is that if people OUTSIDE the
design process are not involved in examining my work, design and format,
the game NEVER works well. I find it overwhelmingly moronic on the part
of a company who loudly proclaims their powerful status as a games
company to continuously produce such shoddy game designs. Come on, I bet
we can all remember GW games that after the first read we pinpointed all
the loopholes for power gamers and ambiguous rules, some so large you
can drive a truck through it! What Josh points out is too true, flaws
are never readily apparent to the games designer because he is too close
to the design process, even testing by the designer is flaws because he
will subconciously compensate for holes in his design. Only review by an
outsider, someone with no knowledge of the design process can
objectively test a game.

All of that is easily avoided with independent review. Their pathetic
attitude of "if it didn't occur during our playtest-its not important"
is just plain weak for such a big comapny with so many resources. Heck,
they not need spend anything on this, how many people on this list would
voluntarily playtest a new epic game if offered to them by GW? Heck for
a free copy of those rules when done I'd consider myself paid in full.
Its just laziness on thier part.

Hehe, yes they seem to wince everytime the word power gamer is mentioned
and haven't a clue to deal with it. Its a character flaw, not a
designers flaw to them. While perfect rules are an impossibility
(nothing can please everyone), at the very least they could present
rules that were indeed playtested by a wider range of people. Heck, look
at what we have done, it isn't perfect, still has problems, but isn't it
better than what we started with? Why can't they do it too, they have
more resources than we do?

In the end remember their own words " We strive to be the best
MINIATURES company in the world". I agree with this premise since
nowhere does it say "best RULES company in the world.

Peter