Re: [NetEpic ML] Implications of "epic" proportions

From: Peter Ramos <primarch_at_...>
Date: Sat, 21 Apr 2001 19:36:29 -0400

Hi!

deaconblue3_at_... wrote:

> I have been told the bigger jerks are Gav and sometimes even
> jervis and andy, any experience with them?
>
> -->Never dealt with Gav Thorpe, so I can't comment. Andy Chambers can be
> a mixed bag. He's willing to talk about near anything, but if you
> criticize something he wrote, and thinks is great, he shuts you out cold.
> Jervis is about the same as Andy. When it comes to answering rules
> questions, and getting clarifications, he's among the best, hands down.
> However, he gets real quiet when it comes to talking about mechanics and
> development. He dodges around questions like "why this mechanic instead
> of this one" or "why did you go this direction for this game." The
> impression I get is that Jervis doesn't nessecarily agree with many of
> the choices, but refuses to make a bad comment about the games or the
> company.

I heard from several people that have corresponded with Jervis that he
is quite reasonable, can't blame him for not badmouthing GW, after all
that where his meal ticket comes from.

For those who wish to laugh, there is a all-out "gav-bash" on
rec.games.miniatures.warhammer. If you think he's done crappy things for
epic go see what people say about his WH40k and Fantasy endevours, not
well liked to say the least.

> I guess its far easier to attribute game design flaws to players than
> accept their own shortcomings.
>
> -->I would say that this is the impression that they give. A certain
> kind of arrogance about it all, and that just puts many people off of
> them. Throw in GW corporate policy on top of it, and it all suffers.
> Many people could take one with out the other, and GW would skate on by.
> But the two in combination, kills the enjoyment for many people, which is
> why GW has such a high turn over rate for people playing their games.

What gets me is people now this and yet still buy and play the games.
Besides bargain basement stuff I haven't bought minis or WD for about 4
years. From my perspective if you dont like a company you dont buy from
them, yet many with my same gripes do, wonder why? Of course, even a
rabid anti-GW'er like myself must admit its better for them to stay
around to provide us with epic minis than none at all, but I wonder if
they dont realize that with a slighter better attitude and design
philosophy they'd make much more money than now. Heck, most of the
suggestions people make for a better GW would'nt cost them much to
implement, go figure.

Peter