Re: [NetEpic ML] New to Epic/Heresy

From: quester <quester666_at_...>
Date: Fri, 1 Jun 2001 12:20:15 -0700 (PDT)

  Tim Speltz <tims_at_...> wrote:
Greetings All, Greetings back and welcom
After an entertaining viewing of Starship Troopers (putting the
differences with the book out of my mind) I started looking for a large
scale SF game to play, and happily found NetEpic/Heresy via the
Epicenter. I have yet to play a game of either, but am looking forward
to trying them out. I've picked up a mostly painted Space Marine Army on
Ebay for what I hope is a reasonable price. What would be a good
opponent for them? Orks seem to be common, but the Tyrannids look
appealing after watching ST. Are these balanced foes? BUGS ROCK

I think I'll start off playing a game of Heresy with a friend - I like
it's emphasis on combined arms and for whatever reason, it read a bit
clearer than NetEpic for a non-GW expericed gamer (I have played mostly
DBX and Colonial, e.g. The Sword and The Flame, in the past). However, I
play Combat Mission on the PC quite a bit, and I found I like the
problems posed when effectively combining infantry, support, and armor.

What is a good point value for a first time game? I'd like it to run
fast enough to be resolved in 2-3 hours. How many turns do games usually
take? I've heard that GW games are designed to be finished in 6 turns.
Seems like awful few. Should I expect that from Heresy or NetEpic?

games can end in 1 turn and as menny as 8 but 4 is about what it takes

and as for time your first bunch of games will take lots longer until you get all the data down

How important is terrain for a fun game? I have some Geo Hex for the
landscape, but nothing yet in the way of woods, buildings, etc. in 6mm.
Will the game be mindless without these, or is it possible to have a
good game on open, but rolling, ground?

I would say it is important ( well I build and sell it) but you can use anything for buildings ( blocks of wood card bord boxes etc.)

woods you can use green colored paper cut out in differant shapes and think of them being 30 to 60 cm tall or make some trees out of liken and small branches

and blue colored paper to make rivers and lakes

and when you need more advanced bits please take a look at my web page

ONe other question, possibly out of place from an untried player -
Heresy uses the you activate a unit, I activate a unit paradigm. I like
this approach, and have used it in other games to break the mass
uniformity of turn based movement. Have you tried a playing card based
system; I move unit on a black card , you move on a red card? The number
of turns evens out, rarely does someone move more than three times in a
row, but it adds an element of unpredicatability that I find appealing.

yes I used this system but it can be a game braker leaving one player with lots of his units at the end of the deck at times

good luck and I know you will like the game

RuneSmith Studio "we bring the art to war"

15 Summit Ave.

Albany, NY. 12209

http://odin.prohosting.com/quester6