Re: Base sizes

From: <primarch_at_...>
Date: Mon, 11 Jun 2001 16:24:36 -0000

Hi!

The strip bases were GW's idea for bases in the last version of epic.
They are easier to paint, but there has been much debate on whether or
not they impact on the game. I personally think they do since it
alters how many units can engage in close combat and how many are
affected by barrage weapons. These are especially true if you and your
opponent use a mix of bases. Only GW can be so naive in assuming
basing does not matter in a game.

Since the old epic square bases are hard to get, use 20x20mm square
bases, they are exactly the same size as the old epic bases, I have
used these bases extensively and actually prefer the infantry to be
mounted on them than the original bases.

As for Heresy, use the 20x20mm, of course as long as you are
consistent, any base is good for heresy.

For knights and such I use the round bases used for 40k figs (28mm)
and for warhounds or those models bigger than knights and smaller than
a warlord titan, GW square monster sized bases are good.

Dreadnoughts and robots can use the same 20x20mm bases as infantry.

Peter

--- In netepic_at_y..., Tim Speltz <tims_at_b...> wrote:
> HI all,
>
> Thanks for the help on getting started with armies for NetEpic and
> Heresy. I purchased a bunch of Space Marines and IGs, and am in the
> process of painting them. They are on 5-man square stands. However,
> notice in a lot of images on the web that infantry are mounted in
> strips. Is this a result of variations in GW's rules over the years?
> Sure seems like these would be easier to paint. What is the basing
style
> assumed by NetEpic and Heresy?
>
> What size should the bases be for the mecha type figures
(Dreadnoughts?