Re: [NetEpic ML] On the new squat units

From: <primarch_at_...>
Date: Tue, 12 Jun 2001 13:54:33 -0000

Hi!

I honestly dont see most of them making it, mainly because playtest is
slow, heck it took almost 2 years to mold the Slann! Also a 2/3
majority is hard to pull off, just look at the poll history. Not too
many adopted units, mostly rules.

I'm much more liberal with small rules additions than with units.
Rules tend to be tested every time you play, units are only tested
when you play one army, far less exposure.

What I will do some time from now is put all these units in a
"optional book", so people may customize their games, but as for
making them core, mostly likely not. I took out a lot of stuff from
the last revision and made it optional, flier rules, a whole host of
units, heck even those cool squat tanks, which have almost 3 years of
testing, I left as optional.

Units bring much contention to gamers circles, even more so than
rules, because units belong to a certain army and people are
passionate about what people field in their armies. In short any unit
that is going to be adopted, a whole lost of playtesting by DIFFERENT
groups needs to be presented and win a 2/3 majority vote, not so easy
when you think about it.

So have fun with your friends creations, you'll surely discard more
than you keep and they will be optional for quite a few years still,
before they can be considered to be "core".

Peter

--- In netepic_at_y..., Trygve Bj�rnstad <trygve_at_n...> wrote:
> I fully agree to what you're saying, but many an optional unit will
become a
> core unit sooner or later. I'm just worried that all our armies will
be too
> similar, thus requiring no special tactics...
>
> Trygve

everything.

http://docs.yahoo.com/info/terms/