RE: [NetEpic ML] Tanith First and Only

From: Tom Webb <mail_at_...>
Date: Fri, 13 Jul 2001 21:40:42 +0100

Sounds good to me.
  -----Original Message-----
  From: Albert Farr� Benet [mailto:cibernyam_at_...]
  Sent: 13 July 2001 18:29
  To: netepic_at_yahoogroups.com
  Subject: Re: [NetEpic ML] Tanith First and Only

  Hi,

  The idea is great for a novel, but I think this army is too limited to be
fielded as a whole, even as a company. I would start by making them a
special card of an HQ unit and 10 tactical stands or HQ plus 5 CC stands.

  The reasoning is as follows:

  IG armies have a very high level of casualties (I think we all agree on
this :-) ) and IG regiments are never reinforced but a new regiment is
raised to replace the remains of the previous one. I supose, though I'm not
sure, that the old decimated regiment is given three choices: either they
leave the army and receive some fields in a distant colony planet (much like
classical Rome, where veterans were given lands to colonize and spread Latin
culture), they rejoin Imperial forces as special units, like forward
observers, high rank guards, etc thus acting as veterans, or they are mixed
with remains of other regiments to form a whole new regiment, thus leaving
behind any special features individual soldiers could have.

  Following this ideas, a regiment of troops which have very "special"
caracteristics but cannot be substituted would not be used in large numbers,
so they can be fielded during a long time. Even more, allocating half of the
regimental forces to battle in first line (as this seems their role in
battle) would mean that the regiment would last only a few battles.

  Note that Catachan and other special Imperial regiments actually DO have
the possibility to be substituted by new risen regiments (though not too
often, as the planets have limited population).

  I think they could only be used in very few numbers and in counted
battles, as they losses cannot be replaced. Let's use them as Unique Special
Cards (that means, Special Card plus the limitation to ONE CARD FOR THE
ENTIRE BATTLE FORCE) and obviously, if played in campaigns, once broken they
cannot be used again.

  What do you think?

  Albert