Re: [Epic] Stand and Deliver

From: Jason Stephensen <J.Stephensen_at_...>
Date: Fri, 10 Jan 1997 09:43:10 +1000 (EST)

>If you are talking about two different GW stores, I know why they act in such
>a seemingly senseless way. Each GW store has a quota indicating how much they
>should sell each month. Stores that sell more than this amount get a bonus
>determined by the total amount sold. It is (supposedly) up to the manager to
>distribute this amongst the employees.
>
>So, by buying stuff from another GW store, you are effectively taking money
>from the local manager's pocket. I caught wind of this scheme from two friends
>who worked at a GW store here in Canada. They were a little pissed off cause
>they knew how it worked, and how much the store was making, but were seeing
>none of the cash! Meanwhile the manager was doing very well for himself, ie.
>new computer, new car, nice clothes, etc. They assumed that he was keeping the
>money for himself, and they were probably right. The manager wound up getting
>fired, but I'm not sure if the two events were related.

Hmmm... if the things I've heard from GW store employees is true, and one of
them I really trust, they treat the staff just above the level of slaves.
They were paid minimun wage, and while they got their minatures cheap,
well.... apparently they demand that you paint a large proportion of the
store minnies so that you never really get the time to paint your own. They
really do push for a "team" and "atmosphere" for the store, which roughly
equated to do everything we tell you, or we'll fire you as thee are other
gumbies more then willing to work here. As for the managers getting rich,
well I believe it, I mean all that money has to go somewhere, and it most
defintely isn't going to the employees in the store.

>Of course, this is all hearsay, but I believe my sources.

So do I.
                 Colonel Abrahms, 22nd NU-Atol Regiment
                 Rekartot Redbacks Senior Coach
                   "No Spanky, No. Bad monkey"