[Epic] Scenarios from WD 172 (Capture and Hold)

From: Tony Christney <acc_at_...>
Date: Fri, 10 Jan 1997 13:04:14 -0800

Sorry about the delay, but the Holidays were rather distracting...

When battles are fought over key pieces of terrain or the possession of
vital buildings, the casaulties involved become secondary issues. At the
end of the day what really counts is who controls these objectives. After
all men and machines can always be replaced!

Set Up
Normal Space Marine rules apply for the generation and placement of
terrain. Only two objective counters are used and these must be placed on a
terrain feature whithin the designated area shown on the diagram. The two
important pieces of terrain can be represented by anything you choose, from
a ruined temple in a wood to a large building containing vital information
such as a library or government office. If you don't have any suitable
scratch-built scenery an imposing structure can be made by butting together
two or more of the standard card Space Marine buildings that come with the
game.

Deployment
Both players deploy their armies in the normal manner and fight across the
width of the board.

Special Rules
Any buildings containing an objective may not be deliberately destroyed by
either side. Terrain that can't be destroyed like woods and hills cannot be
deliberately rendered impassable either by, for example, firing a Mekboy
Pulsa Rokkit on top of the objective.

Victory Conditions
The game lasts D3+3 turns. The winner is the player who controls both
objectives. A winning draw is achieved by controlling one and disputing the
other. If the players hold one objective each, or both of them are
disputed, then the result is a draw. Should one player accidentally destroy
or render impassable an objective as mentioned in the special rules, the
opposing player may count that objective as controlled (it can't be won
back either). An objective is controlled by the nearest stand or vehicle to
the objective marker.

Tactics
To all intents and purposes this is a normal Space Marine battle. As you
can't damage buildings containing objectives, make good use of the
fire-throwing weapons that ignore modifiers for cover. Those commanding
Eldar armies should remember the trick I explained in White Dwarf 170.
Whatever your army, it is a good idea to hold back a reserve of good close
combat infantry should it become necessary to make a last ditch assault in
the last turn.

Optional Rules
For a real bloodbath, try playing this scenario without turn limits - to
the death!

Bad Ass(cii) Map:

| 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 |
| | | | |
| | | | |
| __|__ | __|__ |
| | | | | | | | |
|___________|__|__|___________|__________|__|__|__________|
| 5 | | 6| | 7 | | 8| |
| ---|--- | ---|--- |
| | | | |
| | | | |
| | | | |
|______________|______________|_____________|_____________|

The two objectives in the two boxes marked on the map.

I have tried this scenario previously. Of course we went for the real bloodbath!
Unfortunately it was mostly my blood! We ran out of time and the game ended
as a draw, but there is no doubt that if the game had gone another two
turns I would have been soudnly trounced. No need for Exterminatus here...

There seem to be two main strategies here. One is to sit back while your
opponent goes for the objectives, pound the hell out of him, the attack his
weaker held objective as the opportunity arises. The other is to go head on
with everything you've got. This is what I tried, and over half my force
ended up as cannon fodder for the combined firepower of a Warlord and
Reaver Titan Battlegroups. By turn three I had exhausted my supply of chaos
cards, and the demons were falling like flies...

Stay tuned for the final episode... Breakout! (as featured in WD ???)

Tony Christney
acc_at_...