Re: [Epic] Problems with the old system

From: Jason Stephensen <J.Stephensen_at_...>
Date: Mon, 13 Jan 1997 13:30:18 +1000 (EST)

>Hello all you happy Epic players (and all of the pissed-off ones, too)!
> We have been ranting and raving about Epic 40K now for some time and I
>think that we have gotten most of it worked out of our system. (Well,
>maybe not :] )

I haven't yet. Though I'm close.

> But, while we may love Epic, I think that it's safe to
>say that it's not a perfect system. I have heard people say that the
>system has its faults. Since I have only started playing recently and
>still think that the game is flawless :) I would appreciate knowing
>what people feel are some of the weaknesses and what new rules have
>been devised to fill these gaps.

I for one think that the D6 usage for all things is a bit silly. It dosen't
cover the wider abilities of troops and some of the weaponry. Moving to D10
or D20 would give a far better range over D6, but I think that of almost all
games.

Also the rules for psychics and shields should be sorted out. The variations
of effects on shields and what is psychic should be sorted out so that it is
all simpler to work out.

There have been other bits, but that's all I can think of at the moment. The
system is pretty good as it is.

> For example, I have heard people
>mention things about the flyer rules. What is the problem with them
>and what would you do to change them?

OK as it stands, flyers are more like simple vehicles that are in the air.
The relaity of most air-borne attacks is that they tend to zip across the
battlefield, strike and are off the field again. They should do a strike
acroos the battlefield, something like a snap-fire, get all the AA fire
against them then and then off the filed again. This seems to be the hinted
way they are going to change it to.

> This isn't a rhetorical
>question. I'm the defacto person-more-or-less-in-charge of the local
>Epic cell, which is composed mostly of newbies like myself, and we
>wouldn't mind seeing rules "updates" or revisions. What's been done to
>the system to improve it and where can I find it?

People tend to add in house rules but I don't think there is a spot with
them that I know of. I know Aaron has some bits on his page, as does Scott
but other then them I don't think there is that much.

>Seth Ben-Ezra
>Great Wolf
>
>P. S. All Epic gamers should go to their windows and yell at the top
>of their lungs, "We're mad as hell and we're not taking it any more!"
>Maybe GW will hear us. :)

Hehe, I'm on the other side of the world to them, so I don't knowif I can be
that loud. Maybe Kelvin can though.
                 Colonel Abrahms, 22nd NU-Atol Regiment
                 Rekartot Redbacks Senior Coach
                   "No Spanky, No. Bad monkey"