Re: [Epic] Psychic Phase [was: Re: Titan Legions]

From: Tony Christney <acc_at_...>
Date: Sat, 18 Jan 1997 01:50:38 -0800

>My biggest problem with the psychic phase is that it's SO unbalanced...
>squats don't have psychics (obviously) but even their one special card
>only give models a 5+ save... Librarians are only good at trying to kill
>other psychers (and they have trouble with the powerful ones), whereas
>tyranids can wipe out half your army in the psychic phase... i lost a
>colossus and a reaver in the FIRST psychic phase vs tyranids recently...
>that kind of unbalance really bothers me. JMO

The whole idea of the psychic phase seemed hacked in, with little thought
going into how it would effect play balance, or rules interaction, or
back compatibility. Psychic attacks worked fine in the old rules, so I
don't see why they felt it was necessary to add in a whole new turn phase.
Another major imbalance was the cost/performance for weirdboy battletowers.
For 100pts you can get more firepower than a plasma destructor, can move
and still shoot before anything other than snap fire weapons, and can
destroy greater demons in a flash (which I learned the hard way :( ).
The drawback being that there is a 1 in 6 chance of an explosion. Sure,
the saving throw is crap, but who has ever seen one that was not under
a dragsta field?

>Brad Leffew
>Orc DeathDealers Team Coach
>Squat Warlord/Space Marine/Knight Commander
>King of WHFB Bretonnia Army (newly aquired, love the models)
>High King of WHFB Dwarf Army
>
>"If we deny love that is given to us, if we refuse to give love because we
>fear the pain of loss, then our lives will be empty, our loss greater.
> -Tanis Half-Elven "Dragons of Winter Night" by Margaret Weis
>
>Clarkson University
>leffewbe_at_...

Tony Christney
acc_at_...