Re: [Epic] Harsh conditions = tough warriors

From: <oki_at_...>
Date: Mon, 27 Jan 1997 15:53:34 +0800

At 02:37 PM 1/25/97 -0600, you wrote:
>At 11:16 01/24/1997 +0800, you wrote:
>
>>Come to think of it, I do recall reading somewhere that although the Spartan
>>(of Ancient Greece fame and as a militaristic society as could be) were
>>considered inferior to the "democratic" city-state of Athens. As to why it
>>is so, I do not know. Anybody care to comment ?
>
>I think you're confused. For the most part the Spartans were considered
>better warriors. Athens was more culturally advanced and still had a very
>respectable military. A rough comparison would be cold war USSR and USA.
>In the end it was a geographic quirk of fate that Sparta fought an
>incredible battel that decimated them, but which saved Athens from the
>onslaught of the invaders.
> It's been years since I took world civ, though...
>
>Temp

Are you referring to the battle of Thermopyle (sp?) I thought only 300
Spartans took part in that and they all died holding the Persians (?) which
allowed the other city states to come together and later beat the Persians
to a pulp ?

Regards
Oki
p.s. At least u took world civ, me, I did South East Asian civ :-)