Re: [Epic] Drop Pods

From: Dan Lobb <danlobb_at_...>
Date: Tue, 28 Jan 1997 03:06:02 -0800

Brett Hollindale wrote:

> Another few questions on drop pods...
>
> Can you take Spare Marine Scouts in Drop Pods?
>
> It says that the the pods "replace a companies rhinos" and while the scouts
> do have a (single) rhino (the commander's) to replace, aren't the drop pods
> _free_ because you have already paid for transports (for the whole company)
> - that transport being "the company's rhinos" that you are "replacing"?

I think a Scout Company should have to pay for them. I would say the
cost should be equal to the cost of the Rhino detachments you would have
to buy in order to transport the entire Scout Company. Your call though.

> We (the group I play most of my games with) currently allow Marines to take
> drop pods for scout companies, but I am organising the EPIC at our local
> annual convention and I would like to know if other people think that the
> cheapest SM company able to be deployed by drop pods is the tactical or
> assault company.
>
> Do people allow artillery to barrage multiple drop pods with every shot as
> they fall?
> Since the drop pods start on a burst template, it is likely that they will
> land in a pretty solid mass. Artillery fire at them as tyhey fall can
> target the drop pods witout consideration of the troops on the ground (that
> they will now be in amongst) but do the drop pods re-enter in a two
> dimentional plane (like the table top) or do people consider them to be at
> sufficently variable altitudes during their re-entry that a barrage will
> only hit a single pod as it falls?

> I would really like to know how other people deal with drop pods
We don't allow for the barrage templates in firing at the drop pods. I
think one of the Q&A's specifically excludes barrage weapons from firing
this way. I am not sure about this, and anyway we don't play that way.
We just treat them like a single shot direct fire weapon when firing at
drop pods and myscetic spores. I too, would like to know what the
consensus of opion is on this issue.

danlobb_at_...