Re: [Epic] Advance & Charge

From: Seth Ben-Ezra <Azathoth_at_...>
Date: Mon, 27 Jan 1997 12:37:56 -0500

On 27 Jan 97 at 11:55, Brett Hollindale wrote:

> We're just breaking in a new player, and we told him about how when you
> advance it has to be toward your opponent, (as oposed to backwards) and when
> you charge it has to be at the nearest enemy (we make exception for skimmers
> and flyers, of course) but we have looked and looked and looked and we can't
> find it anywhere...
>
> Are we making this up?
>
> Is there such a rule, and if so, where do we find it?
>
> Agro

I've never read that. "Advance" and "charge" are relative terms,
anyways. Ever heard of "advancing to the rear"? :) The same goes for
charging. While one of the purposes of the charge is to bring troops
into close combat, it can also be used for rapid troop movement. For
example, as I play Marines, often my Grey Hunters, ensconced in their
Rhinos, will go on charge orders to reach an objective on the far side
of the table. The idea, of course, is to arrive at the objective and
hold it before the enemy arrives. Using your rules would preclude
this. It would also preclude flanking maneuvers with bikes, speeders,
etc. which can make use of their blinding speed to outmaneuver the
enemy.

Seth Ben-Ezra
Great Wolf