re:[Epic] Advance & Charge

From: Cameron Bentsen <stu7i95_at_...>
Date: 27 Jan 1997 11:52 EST

In message "[Epic] Advance & Charge", you write:

> We're just breaking in a new player, and we told him about how when you
> advance it has to be toward your opponent, (as oposed to backwards) and when
> you charge it has to be at the nearest enemy (we make exception for skimmers
> and flyers, of course) but we have looked and looked and looked and we can't
> find it anywhere...
>
> Are we making this up?
>
> Is there such a rule, and if so, where do we find it?
>
> Agro

Nope, Agro, you're making this up. There is no requirement that you charge
the nearest enemy; that's 40K. The only restriction on charging is that, for
the purposes of your enemy FFing your chargers, you are considered to have come
in a straight line from where you started (so most people do actually charge
in as straight a line as they can.) Otherwise, there are no rules restricting
where you can move, but there are restrictions on what your facing can be at
the end of your move:

-This post from Allen clarifies the Epic vehicle movement rules. They don't seem
-to me to be very realistic, but... dem's da rulz. If ya don't like 'em, make
-up yer own.
-
-Apparently, a vehicle (including one-model-to-a-stand skimmers like Vypers &
-landspeeders,) can turn as much as it wants at the beginning of its move,
-but it's final facing can only be up to 45 degrees off of a straight line from
-where it started and where it finished. So, your vehicle can move in any
-direction it wants for its full move, even if that direction is opposite to the
-way it was going before. However, putting your tank in reverse isn't possible,
-even for a short distance, without a house rule allowing it to do so. You also
-can't drive around a building and wind up facing the enemy; although you'll
-probably still be able to get him in your front 180 arc and shoot him, his
-return fire will probably hit your side.
-
-
- ------------
- / \
- / BBBBB \
- | BBBBB |
- S BBBBB F (final facing: -->, +/- 45 degrees.)
-
- E
-
-
-
-Starting at S, and ending at F, to shoot at E's rear is now difficult or
-impossible, and his return fire will certainly hit your side. Of course,
-you could just spin around and shoot him, but then you'll be shooting at his
-front.