Re: [Epic] cheese

From: <duckrvr_at_...>
Date: Tue, 28 Jan 1997 12:47:46 -0600

At 21:42 01/27/1997 +0000, you wrote:
>>First off, chaos cards can't be played on titans or demon engines.
>>Secondly, if it says "unit" it can only be played on a unit, not on an
>>individual model. So no invisibility for greater demons.
>

>That's a bit harsh, don't you think? We consider the GD to be a "unit of
>one" for those cards...
>
>Agro

Like I said, I can't remember the reference, but I believe it was the WD
that stated that chaos could use all marine detachments. In any case GDs
using cards that said "unit" was specifically mentioned. Unfortunately I
don't have access to many of the Q&A I used to, as most of them were in
magazines belonging to other people or were sent in. But no, I don't think
it's particularly harsh. Again, this seems to be a point that the crew I
played with differed from most people on this list. Chaos players always
took as many GDs as possible - usually in the ball park of 1 per 1000 pts.
Even if they didnt' kill many opponent models, they are nearly impossible to
knock off of objectives. This allows you to send your swarm of troops
across the board (with the faster GDs) while the slow guys stand on top of
the objectives and hammer anyone who dares to come near. So no jet bikes
swooping points at the end, no t-hawks landing and snatching victory from
the jaws of defeat, etc.. It also keeps all the Khorne stuff ahead on vps
so they get their advantages.
        Just for an example, imagine a nurgle GD on an objective in the
woods. No direct fire, can't be outnumbered in cc, fires the stream of
corruptino (I know that's misspelled, but "corruptino" amused me greatly) in
the FF phase (probably hitting 2 models if you swarm him). I saw one whip a
detachment of Grey knights w/o breaking a sweat (or playing cards for that
matter). If you take turns placing objectives as described it in the rule
book such a situation is NOT that hard to arrange. I wish every 300 points
in my army could almost guarantee 5 vps.
        Another: LoC charges a Colossus (I pick LoC because they are the
fastest of the demons). The colossus is pinned, can't fire FF at the demon,
and is closely matched in caf. Throw a growth card on the demon and/or
uncontrollable flatulence (or the other "half caf for your opponent" card)
and suddenly the Colossus is horribly outclassed. I've managed this twice
against squat shv's and a number of times against less formidable models. I
dont' feel it's necessary to add the ability to play the "long legs" card on
the LoC so he can reach more distant opponents.
        I'm sure the arguments will be along the lines of "these are
specialty situations," but they're not. They are relatively easy to arrange
for the chaos player.

Whew! Just went on a tear there, didn't I?
Temp