Re: Books (was Re: [Epic] Nukes in Epic universe)

From: <duckrvr_at_...>
Date: Tue, 28 Jan 1997 12:48:20 -0600

At 08:31 01/28/1997 -0500, you wrote:
> I'll bet
>you that Frank Herbert wanted to have a more primitive weapons
>technology (probably due to his primitive political system, which could
>be compared to the early days of the Roman Empire),

1. I don't think personal body shields are all that primitive. If, on the
other hand, you mean he wanted an excuse to integrate hth combat as a norm,
then I would agree. It adds a great dramatic element.

2. I don't think feudalsim is all that primitive. It is a very complex
social system. I would put _Dune_'s political system somewhere between
medieval society and the Roman Empire, but closer to Medieval Europe than Rome.

Temp