RE: [Epic] Re: [EPIC] Which do YOU like better?

From: Brett Hollindale <agro_at_...>
Date: Wed, 30 Jul 1997 02:52:28 +0200 (MET DST)

SNIP>
>and finally:
>
>Space Marine
>I don't understand how your premise can be "the first edition is the
>best" and then conclude with "I prefer SM/TL" ----> it's Space Marine
>2nd ed.

Obviously, I wasn't clear enough...

My premise is not that "the first edition is the best", it is that "the
first edition is the bestthe game designer can do, AND IT IS LIKELY TO BE
IMPROVED IN THE 2nd EDITION, but when there is a radical change (like a 3rd
Edition) - you can expect it is an inferior product..."

Agro

> I don't know anyone who still plays 1st ed regularly, and I
>prefer either 2nd or E40K to it by far, but my answer over all would
>be :
> 1) play SM/TL with someone who already has it. If you can still
>find the pieces & rules, and you like it, go for it!
> 2) Otherwise, try E40K. You really don't have much choice
>in my neck of the woods, as no stores carry the old stuff, and our
>best stores for carrying used stuff closed up about a year and 1 half
>ago. Used book stores are our only decent source now. (And this
>is Dallas-Ft Worth - we ain't exactly small)
>
>Chris Miller

PS I don't actually want to start an off topic duiscussion about the
pros/cons of second/third edition traveller/shadowrun etc, but if you want a
discussion we can take it off list...