Re: [Epic] "Skull's Shadow" - Battle Report (LONG!)

From: Eugene E.W. <eug_at_...>
Date: Wed, 31 Jul 2097 12:04:43 -0400

> > Just a note to everyone else: 5000 points
> > values take a *long* time to play. Don't even think
> > of attempting something that big unless you're starting
> > early in the day (or at least earlier than we did).
>
> Yeah, we started playing relatively late (around 3-4PM or so) and it
> took us 6 hours to complete 3 turns. I was rather shocked. I think
> the Eldar contributed a lot to the time, though, since neither of us
> had much experience with Eldar yet in E40k. I was taking a long time
> thinking about how to move them and my tactics seemed to generate a lot
> of thought (frustration?) on the other side of the table too. I think
> that if we played again with army lists ready and some more experience
> with what was on the table it would be a shorter game.
>
> Regards,
>
> - Erik
>
> "Look within. Within is the fountain of good, and it will ever bubble
> up, if you will ever dig."
> - Marcus Aurelius

Pfah! Ye of little mettle! In that 4 side, 2,000 pt each battle I mentioned
(which included 2 players who had never played epic before) we began to
choose forces at 7:30 pm, finished setting up at perhaps 9:30, and wrapped
up turn 7 -- with only two of the four armies remaining unbroken -- at
quarter to seven (am) the next morning. It ended because the objective had
finally been taken off the board, and the Phantom Titan was cloven in twain
with a chainfist (and, no, we gave him no steenking holofield save),
leaving only one side's units still standing semi-victorious on the
tabletop. (I'm ignoring the two pitiful broken wraithgaurd cowering behind
a building, the sole remnants of a 10 strong detachment). It's not a REAL
game of epic unless the sun is rising as you stumble bleary-eyed to bed at
the end of it. :)

Cool battle report, by the way. Shame about the Reaver.

Regards, Eugene