Re: [Epic] Deathwing Detachment 3

From: Chris White <chris_at_...>
Date: Thu, 31 Jul 1997 16:41:48 -0700

At 05:12 PM 7/31/97 -0500, you wrote:
>Here's is v3.o. I think this is good. Some of you might still disagree,
>but just start at the begining and read thought the entire description and
>see what you think. The is the Copy I'd like to post on my web page for
>all the world to see, so let me know what you think.
>

>DEATHWING DETACHMENT
>Command
>You must choose a commander
> 1 Detachment HQ (See notes) .. +25 points
>Up to 1 Master of Deathwing . .. +28 points
>Consists of 1 Terminator unit (Hero, Deathwing)
>
>Extra cost to:
> Mount in a Land Raider... +35 points
>

>Main Force
>Choose up to 10 squads from following list.
>
>Deathwing Terminator squad . .+22 points
>Consists of 1 Space Marine unit (Save, Deathwing)
>
>Extra cost to: Mount in a Land Raider ... +35 points
>

>Up to 1 Space Marine Librarian +38 points
>Consists of 1 Terminator unit (Psyker, Hero, Deathwing)
>
>Extra cost to: Mount in a Land Raider... +35 points
>
>Support
>Make up to 5 choices from the following list, but you may not exceed the
>number of choices made on the main force list.
>
>Space Marine Dreadnought . . . +27 points
>
>Notes: Any unit that is part of the detachment can be assigned as the
>detachment HQ, subject to the detachment�s chain of command. If the
>original HQ is eliminated the next unit below on the chain of command
>becomes the new HQ.
>
> Chain of command: Master of Deathwing> Librarian> Terminator> Any other
>unit.
>

>Deathwing: As described in Codex: Angels of Death Members are immune to
>the effects of psychology. Members of the Deathwing are know for their
>unwillingness to back down in the face of horror. To represent this the
>Deathwing special ability allows detachment members to auto-pass ALL
>leadership tests, and remove 1D6 Blast Markers (Note the difference from
>the normal 1D6-1).
>
>You may include as many Deathwing detachments in your army as you wish.
>However, you should note that the Deathwing is just a single company and
>can muster a maximum of 20 units, not including command section (i.e.:
>Deathwing Master and Librarian), Land Raiders, or support units. No matter
>how many Deathwing detachments you have there can only be 1 Master of the
>Deathwing. Each detachment, however, is allowed to take a Librarian. If
>you do have other Deathwing detachments just follow the chain of command to
>see who is in control of each detachment.

        Nice summary. Clearly thought out and trying for good game balance.

        Some questions: If all the Termies got wiped, but LRs or Dreads were left,
would they have the bonus as well?
        In a campaign, would this detach. suffer from lack of qualified
reinforcements?
        Does a Dark Angels Chapter Master (Sup. Com.), and presumably his
bodyquard, get this ability?(Nasty combo: rerolls and auto-pass. <shudder>)
        If, somehow, a DA character is the last unit standing in a detachment,
does he gain the bonus?
        Should ALL DA leader types (anyone with HERO) be more expensive?

        I play Chaos myself, it's all academic to me. I have noticed, though, that
sound tactics and superior firepower are more likely to carry a battle than
special abilities. That doesn't mean I'd Like to meet a force made up
entirely of Space Wolves, but I trust in Khorne.

Blood and souls, blood and souls...

Nickles