Re: [Epic] Engines of Vaul??? Ha!

From: Mike Bowen <mbowen_at_...>
Date: Sat, 2 Aug 1997 12:27:39 -0500 (CDT)

On Sat, 2 Aug 1997, Erik K. Rutins wrote:

> Christian,
>
> > I'll only say one thing: 10 siege artillery units on overwatch.
>
> Don't forget Alan was talking about tactics vs. Orks, who don't have
> siege artillery. Big gunz and pulsa rokkits, yes - but they're 45cm,
> not 125cm and the EofV are 60cm.
>
> Regards,
>
> - Erik

Ah Ha! More stuff on how to kill those #_at_&%!^# Engines of Vaul with
the new "short range, All FP" E40k Orks

1. Forget Most SM/TL tactics. They don't work anymore, as those long
range shooty units are gone. forget about trying to outshoot anybody

2. use 2 KoS dets. with at least 15 bikes. Have 1 on assault,advancing
towards the EoV(and getting shot at by pulsars) while det. #2 follows
behind using overwatch. Try to get some BM's on the Eldar.

3. Use 2 Dets. filled with mostly Gretchin, with some HW Boyz and
Nobz. These follow behind the the KoS bikes on March orders.
Remember, gretchin are cheap, you want to flood the area with greenskins
also, the Eldar need 4+ to hit gretchin with AT shots, not 3+

4. Use 2 Dets. with boarboyz and stormboyz. Bring these up last, and
try to assault the Engines of Vaul.

Keep the Dets. small, as the Eldar player WILL dump many Blast Markers
on you. That is the reason for taking the dets. in pairs. If one
detachment is suppressed, You still can move the other one.

This doesn't work as well if the enemy has lots of barrage weapons,so
watch out for those IG units.

One other thing that is being playtested, is to have a

Blood-Axe Ork Detachment

allows the Ork player to take SM/IG units as support units

allows Orks to get some longer ranged equipment.

The Disadvantage: Blood-Axe Orks are cowards. To reflect this,
assume that the Blood-Axe Detachment ALWAYS start each turn with
2 Blastmarkers. Also, Blood-Axe units may NOT use the Supreme
Commanders advantage to reroll dice.

Ideas? Flames?

mike