RE: [Epic] Reminiscing (was: [EPIC] Which do YOU like better)

From: Miller, Chris <CMiller_at_...>
Date: Tue, 5 Aug 1997 09:31:56 -0500

>KevinYup, I have pretty much all of em. Including TSR "The Last" where it has
>ads for this wonderful new magazine called "The Dragon". And the one
>with "Sturmegeschutz and Sorcery", or, "How good is a Panzerfaust vs a
>Troll, Heinz?".*
>
>Heck I can remember when Tactical Studies Rules was Guidon Games...
>

>* The answer is, very. 4-40 pts, and as it's over 20mm in calibre, it
>counts as a magic weapon. No, I'm not joking.
>
>--
>aebrain_at_... <> <> How doth the little Crocodile
>| Alan & Carmel Brain| xxxxx Improve his shining tail?
>| Canberra Australia | xxxxxHxHxxxxxx _MMMMMMMMM_MMMMMMMMM
>100026.2014 compuserve o OO*O^^^^O*OO o oo oo oo oo
> By pulling MAERKLIN Wagons, in 1/220 Scale
>See http://www.z-world.com/graphics/z/master/8856.gif for picture

------> now THAT was a good article(and a nice battle report)...I don't
 that far, but I picked it up in the first "Best of the Dragon"
collection, before
they sanitized it.(Started in 1980, and I believe the first Dragon mags
saw were in the 30's.) Remeber scrounging up allowance money to buy
The PHB, etc. -Trying to convince mom that DM guide picture didn't have
that much to do with the game, etc. : )

         Who'da thunk it then - how far off track has TSR gotten?
Overindulge in books,get bought out by a CARD company...on the shame
... (only partly kidding)

Could GW follow this same kind of path...think it's a possibility. They
don't stray too far
from their main business yet, but could it happen?

I think GW now is in somewhat the same position TSR was in the 80's:
Established as the big dog in one area of gaming, lots of minor
competition, but no real threat. You can expect that every con
will have GW events, and even people who aren't into it are aware
of it (in game circles, anyway). I think of lot of net traffic & this
list
have taken the role of the old dragon- "here's what I did" reports,
new ideas, alternates to the official word, etc.

How long will it last...?