Re: [Epic] Net Epic Gudelines

From: Spatula <shupes_at_...>
Date: Wed, 29 Jan 1997 10:17:29 -0500

> From: "Seth Ben-Ezra" <Azathoth_at_...>
>
> > FIRST TOPIC
> > 1-Army construction, present system(company cards,etc.) or a individual
> > model points system(each figure assigned a point value), WHAT STAYS OR
> > GOES!

        Considering we haven't seen the new system yet, and
have only heard vague rumors about it, this question is hard
to answer. I like the cards, and I think that I will probably
prefer the cards to the new system, but I really have no way
of knowing until I see Epic 40k for myself.

        As far as the cards go, I think that pricing everything
in multiples of 50pts is a problem, and is part of the reason
some units are over/underpriced. 40k involves massive number
crunching, so why can't Epic players handle a point system in
multiples of 25? (or even 5?)

> Keep the current system. While we may want to make more individual
> characters, like Phoenix Lords or Bjorn the Fell-Handed, the current
> system is great. It limits cheese by requiring purchase of basic
> troops (in the form of a company) before more specialized units (with a
> higher cheese factor) can be added. Also, it forces the player to
> follow the "historical" structure of the army. This is one of the
> abuses that bothers me about WH40K. I will confess; both in 40K and in
> EPIC, I am a Space Wolf player. (As if you couldn't figure that out
> from my nom de guerre. :) ) However, an army composed completely of
> Terminators, which can be done in 40K, is unrealistic. The army card
> system puts a stop to such silliness.

        Well, actually I would think the scarcity of terminator
stands is what puts a stop to such things. THere's nothing in
the rules that keeps you from having an army composed entirely
of terminator companies, although I don't know why you'd want
such a thing.

        Epic requires you to buy companies, 40k has a minimum
number of points you must spend on squads. I think the cheese
problem with 40k is that you can choose what to arm your guys
with, especially your characters who for the most part can't
be targetted indiscriminately. While in Epic the only models
with variable armament are big titans with bullseyes practically
painted on them (plus you can't give your titans neat wargear
like combat drugs, displacer fields, etc).

        The stand-by-stand method might not be too bad, depending
on how it's handled. I would think that (frex) all devastators
would be the same, armed with "hvy weapons" and not: dev with
lascannon, xx pts, dev with heavy bolter xx pts, etc. A tech
marine would be a tech marine, period, with no options to buy
him a jump pack and graviton gun. I guess I imagine that it
will be exactly like now, except that armies will be more
configurable. Don't want your marines to have Rhinos? No
problem! Just build units without! And so on.

        But we'll have to wait and see, hmmm?

Scott
shupes_at_...