RE: [Epic] My Marines

From: Bill Provick <bprovick_at_...>
Date: Tue, 05 Aug 1997 20:08:03 -0400

At 03:00 PM 8/5/97 -0500, you wrote:

>>Black armor with red shoulder pads looks good, but how the hell do I paint
>>my tanks (Land Raider body black with red sponsons.)
>>
>>Anybody have any ideas of a black and red tank scheme. Use a land raider to
>>describe.
>>
>>Tyler
>
>----> Speaking with the bloody stump of experience, try quartering it.
>Looking from the top down, think of a line vertically down the middle
>and a line horizontally across the middle - 4 sections.
>Paint the Left front half and the Right rear half red, and the opposite
>parts black. Looks good if you can pull it off. Then paint the tracks a
>silver/boltgunmetal/ other, and the guns, and you have a very distinct
>unit. Works on rhinos too, if you decide to follow through with them.
>
>Or just go camo. : )
>
> I did Howling Griffs for 40K(like someone else on the list, I believe
>- nice site Carl) , and they were a pain in the ass (quartered red &
>yellow).
>Naturally I had to do it for Epic too, and it was also a pain. To me,
>the
>infantry were easier than the vehicles, because you need to pick your
> break line very carefully and make it very neat, or it looks like crap.
>If you can do that, though, it looks pretty nice. Oh, and on some I
>cheated - I used a dividing line of white. Still looks good though.
> I also proceeded to paint a lot of Blood Angels and Ultramarines...
>
>Chris Miller

Thanks Chris, sounds like a plan, here's an idea for your line problem.
Collect a lot of foil from cigarette packages, and use that for your lines.
It's straight, and it is thin enough to go in details to avoid the paint
seeping under it, kinda like gold foiling, but you remove it to do the other
side. For example, I would paint the red squares, mask it off with the foil,
and then paint the black for a nice straight line. I have a total of 24
tanks currently, so that will take plenty of packs, but luckily both parents
are heavy smokers.

Tyler