Re: [Epic] Adeptus Mechanicus Lists

From: Sauron1 <sauron1_at_...>
Date: Wed, 6 Aug 1997 10:10:54 -0400

----------
> From: Alan E Brain <aebrain_at_...>
> To: space-marine_at_...
> Subject: Re: [Epic] Adeptus Mechanicus Lists
> Date: August 6, 1997 5:07 PM
>
> Paul Collins wrote:
>
> > I don't know about historical, but our local New Varangian Guard (A
> > Byzentine re-enactment group) is currently working on a Kataphracti
(sp?)
> > unit. Basically, Scale armor over Chain armor over a Gambeson. Armed
with
> > sword and kite shield. No horse's though, too hard to do any fighting).
> > With an average size of about 6' and weight of about 100Kg, we're
refering
> > to them as the Tanks. A flying wedge from these guy's will punch
through
> > anybody.
>
> Nope. Not that I'd like to be in the shield wall that faced them, of
> course.
> But even the poncy landsknechts with slashed sleeves, stuffed codpieces
> et alia
> from around here would stand up quite well. First rank Pavise and
> shortsword,
> second rank Zweihanders, third rank Halberds. OK, there's also a zeroth
> rank of
> Psiloi, and Skutatoi with slings and javelins in rear ranks as well.
>
> BTW it's Katafraktoi (sorry, don't have Greek font available). I favour
> Sassanid Persian myself, so am somewhat familiar with Byzantine tactics
> etc.
> --
> aebrain_at_... <> <> How doth the little Crocodile
> | Alan & Carmel Brain| xxxxx Improve his shining tail?
> | Canberra Australia | xxxxxHxHxxxxxx _MMMMMMMMM_MMMMMMMMM
> 100026.2014 compuserve o OO*O^^^^O*OO o oo oo oo oo
> By pulling MAERKLIN Wagons, in 1/220 Scale
> See http://www.z-world.com/graphics/z/master/8856.gif for picture

Sauron1 writes.Do you actually make all the armour and weapons and re-enact
hand to hand combat? You must be in excellent health as I remember
laminatted flack jackets were quite a load.The Norman style shield always
caused a lot of arguments in Ancients magazine articles as to whether they
were Byzantine or Norman orriginally. sauron1