RE: [Epic] Hero of the Day

From: Miller, Chris <CMiller_at_...>
Date: Thu, 7 Aug 1997 15:43:27 -0500

>> But they're also only 50 points, I think. From what I hear,
>> if you slap Ablative armor on a Rhino and put it in front of your Land
>> Raider/Predator/something useful, it is pretty much guaranteed to soak
>> up the first two Lascannons that are fired, since you have to shoot at
>> the closest target.
>
>If you have a land raider or predator, chances are the lascannon is going
>their way. For some reason everyone I play assesses the threat of a
>predator as being much higher than an assault squad in a rhino. I guess
>half of it is because they don't know the contents, which raises a
>strategy point. Why can you not spend 7pts and buy just a rhino and not
>put anything in it (There are ways to get empty rhinos, but I want an
>explicit way) With extra rhinos, you can force your opponent to redirect
>his fire or split it, minimizing infantry casualties for very little
>cost. 10 rhinos for 70pts is cheap and very expendable, where as 10
>rhinos with a company of marines is expensive and deadly. Field them
>both, and which one does he shoot? He could take his chances with one
>det. and risk having the wrong one, or he could split his fire, either
>way the marine player has the upper hand.
>
>Steve

-----> Ahhhh - it's the old shell game you want to play...the first
above post
is talking about WH40K, and in it your troopers have to shoot at the
nearest
squad or vehicle, unlike AT shots in E40K. The shielding tactic from 40K
doesn't really work in E40K.
        Now fielding empty rhinos, I can think of one justification (other than
just I want to) - Some kind of recon detatchment. IFV's & APC's are used
in this role to some degrees in most armies, and it might be a special
version with better radios & different gear, but in E40K it could just
be a rhino,
so this really does have some validity.
        I haven't done as much E40K, but in SM/TL, any rhinos travelling
without visible marines nearby were assumed to be full and nuked without
mercy in my neck of the woods. Though weapon ranges are a bit shorter,
I assume the policy will be the same in this version, so you need some
"dummies" to throw into the mix. Or just use them as disposable
"booster rockets" to accelerate the first turn, then drop them to fend
for
themselves, which is usually how I play them...

Chris Miller