Re: [Epic] Hero of the Day

From: Sauron1 <sauron1_at_...>
Date: Thu, 7 Aug 1997 21:26:15 -0400

----------
> From: Miller, Chris <CMiller_at_...>
> To: space-marine_at_...
> Subject: RE: [Epic] Hero of the Day
> Date: August 7, 1997 4:43 PM
>

> >> But they're also only 50 points, I think. From what I hear,
> >> if you slap Ablative armor on a Rhino and put it in front of your Land
> >> Raider/Predator/something useful, it is pretty much guaranteed to soak
> >> up the first two Lascannons that are fired, since you have to shoot at
> >> the closest target.
> >
> >If you have a land raider or predator, chances are the lascannon is
going
> >their way. For some reason everyone I play assesses the threat of a
> >predator as being much higher than an assault squad in a rhino. I guess
> >half of it is because they don't know the contents, which raises a
> >strategy point. Why can you not spend 7pts and buy just a rhino and not
> >put anything in it (There are ways to get empty rhinos, but I want an
> >explicit way) With extra rhinos, you can force your opponent to redirect

> >his fire or split it, minimizing infantry casualties for very little
> >cost. 10 rhinos for 70pts is cheap and very expendable, where as 10
> >rhinos with a company of marines is expensive and deadly. Field them
> >both, and which one does he shoot? He could take his chances with one
> >det. and risk having the wrong one, or he could split his fire, either
> >way the marine player has the upper hand.
> >
> >Steve
>
> -----> Ahhhh - it's the old shell game you want to play...the first
> above post
> is talking about WH40K, and in it your troopers have to shoot at the
> nearest
> squad or vehicle, unlike AT shots in E40K. The shielding tactic from 40K
> doesn't really work in E40K.
> Now fielding empty rhinos, I can think of one justification (other than
> just I want to) - Some kind of recon detatchment. IFV's & APC's are used
> in this role to some degrees in most armies, and it might be a special
> version with better radios & different gear, but in E40K it could just
> be a rhino,
> so this really does have some validity.
> I haven't done as much E40K, but in SM/TL, any rhinos travelling
> without visible marines nearby were assumed to be full and nuked without
> mercy in my neck of the woods. Though weapon ranges are a bit shorter,
> I assume the policy will be the same in this version, so you need some
> "dummies" to throw into the mix. Or just use them as disposable
> "booster rockets" to accelerate the first turn, then drop them to fend
> for
> themselves, which is usually how I play them...
>
> Chris Miller
>
> >--
> >When you dream there are no rules, people can fly, anything can happen.
> >Sometimes, there's a moment as you're waking, that you become aware of
> >the real world around you, but you're still dreaming.
> >You may think you can fly, but you better not try it
> [...]
Sauron1 writes;Steve, I use the same tactic but when I drop off my assault
marines I leave the Rhinos in front to act as a shieldwall unil the next
turn or two to co-ordinate an attack. I am thinking of buying some of the
new razorback support rhinos to mix in this shield wall.What do you think?
sauron1