[Epic] Tactics of Titan Weapons (E40k)

From: Eugene E.W. <eug_at_...>
Date: Fri, 8 Aug 1997 19:05:15 -0400

I seem to recall, not all that long ago, a discussion/group-whine about how
in Epic 40k you couldn't mount just death rays on titans, because then the
effects of blast markers become unreasonable. It is certainly easy enough
to mount a close combat weapon or a Heavy Weapon Battery on a titan, to
avoid this difficulty, but to my way of thinking this is missing a glorious
opportunity. Death Rays are all very well, but the thought of a single
model mounting 24, or better yet, 32 FP sets my aggressive instincts
a-seething. Not only is straight firepower very effective (particularily
against Orks and Eldar), but to my mind, one of the major jobs Titans have
is to blast the enemy away from objectives with firefights in the assault
phase, particularily if they can't quite make it into close combat.

I don't usually bother with Heavy Barrage weapons on Titans, because its
only real advantage is the extra range, and that fails to make up for their
inefficacy against other War Vehicles. Mega-Cannons are a bit better,
particularily the auto blast-marker thing, but unless you are facing Space
Marines, I don't really find them to be worth the reduction in firefighting
capability and the loss of punch against war machines.

The Annihilation, my beloved Warlord Titan (assembled from components in
the Space Marine 2nd ed box, with the addition of a plasma blastgun left
over from some Warhounds), is armed with, in the new version, a death ray,
a close assault weapon, and two heavy weapon batteries. I find this to be
an excellent mix suitable for nearly all opponents. The Close Assault
weapon may or may not be worthwhile (I haven't really decided yet), but it
is cool looking, for sure, and my opponents find it to be very intimidating
(your CAF is what?) It is certainly better than it was under the old rules,
anyway.

I tend to think lifta-droppa's are worse than death rays, but every time I
say that one of my Warhounds gets picked up by one and crushed, so I've
pretty much shut up about that subject

Since I am an Imperial player, mostly, I fear Pulsars more than D-Cannons,
but I know that D-cannons are very intimidating to Orks, and if I had ever
let my Warhounds get in range of one, I would probably feel similarily. Its
just that those d6 anti-tank shots are so good at cutting through void
shields, not to mention armour values of 6.

Regards, Eugene