Re: [Epic] Painting the little guys

From: Sauron1 <sauron1_at_...>
Date: Mon, 11 Aug 1997 09:42:12 -0400

One Ring to Rule them all,One Ring to find Them,
One Ring to bring them All,And in the Darkness Bind Them

----------
> From: Erik K. Rutins <snowdo1_at_...>
> To: space-marine_at_...
> Subject: [Epic] Painting the little guys
> Date: August 11, 1997 8:50 AM
>

> > On another Subject...To all you really good painters out there. How
> do you
> > paint your infantry? I hear about people doing skulls on shoulder
> pads ect?
> > How on earth do you do that? The best I can manage is I usually paint
> the
> > guns and then do a swipe with a big brush to get the hats. Not to
> > impressive, but pretty quick, and not bad looking.
>
> Well, I think I was accused of the skulls on the shoulderpads and it's
> true. It just requires patience and a steady hand (and a really small
> brush!). My marines are in black armour, so I wanted to do something
> besides drybrush to make them stand out. I started by painting the
> rims of the shoulderpads in the company color. This looked nice, but
> the shoulderpads still looked empty. Just for the heck of it, I took
> out my smallest brush (I mean, it's VERY small) and tried to paint a
> tactical symbol (arrow pointing up) on one side. This turned out
> remarkably easy - just a straight swipe and two diagonal swipes pretty
> much did it. I then got more ambitious and decided to paint the
> chapter's symbol, a skull, on the other shoulder pad. The way I paint
> the little skulls is a bit more complex. I paint on the solid shape of
> the skull, but leave no room for eye sockets or nose cavity. Instead,
> I then take black paint and dot in the nose and paint in diagonally the
> eyes. I paint the eyes in a stroke, so I usually paint over what would
> be the border of bone around the outside edge. I take a little dab of
> white to re-border the eye sockets and the result is a really good
> looking skull (for Epic scale). I also paint the edges of the guns
> boltgun metal and paint in the eyes red (if I overpaint, I just
> re-border in black).
>
> Being a little rough is OK, because you can always touch up with the
> base color afterwards. I've found the key is experimentation and
> practice. I learned how to paint miniatures by painting fantasy
> battles Elves (lots of little decorative stuff on 'em) and Dwarves
> (much easier). Between the two of them, I learned how to paint quickly
> and how to do detail. I guess I was as surprised as anyone when it
> translated really well to Epic Space Marines.
>
> Regards,
>
> - Erik
>
> "Look within. Within is the fountain of good, and it will ever bubble
> up, if you will ever dig."
> - Marcus Aurelius

Sauron1 Writes;My ability ends with at least a recognisable difference in
sholder armour colours,bolters and back pack.I try to paint reconition
symbols on Rhinos top hatches but that usually takes three tries! sauron1