RE: [Epic] Veteran Marines -Reply

From: Miller, Chris <CMiller_at_...>
Date: Tue, 12 Aug 1997 11:04:47 -0500

>> Veteran units get +1 to their firepower to indicate access to the best
>>weapons available.
>>
>> Please let me know what you think.
>>
>> Cheers.

>>-
>>
>>Chris Pinson
>

>-----> OK, you asked:
> Veterans in 40K don't have any additional weapons, so where does
>this come from?
>
>The prior suggestions about better BM removal and maybe a + to
>leadership checks are more in line with vets from 40K (who have a slightly
>better skill, and a better leadership #).
>Not as flashy, but more appropriate.
>
>Chris Miller
>

><<<<<<<<<<<<<<<
>Veteran (Marines) in 40K have the same squad make up as normal tactical
>or (Blood Angels) assault squads, they have the same weapons but have a
>higher Ballistic Skill (BS) or Weapons Skill (WS) which makes them more
>likely to hit/ more likely to win a close combat. I would suggest that they
>be
>better served by automatically recieving the Overwatch ability to represent
>the higher BS and a reroll in close combat similar to that given by the force
>commander, along with the remove D6 blast markers (rather than D6-1)
>representing the higher leadership.
>I'm not sure about a points cost though
>
>Chris

-----> Veterans at BS 5 see little difference than BS of 4 by the time
you add in weapon bonuses for range, etc. The WS means they have
 a d6+5 vs a d6+4, which is kinda small to justify a reroll IMO.
_Terminators_ in 40K ARE veterans, and they don't get rerolls or special
rules, other than "save, so vets in normal power armor hardly need any
special mods .And isn't 'Overwatch" an order, not an ability?

Chris Miller