RE: [Epic] OFF TOPIC - SCA/COMBAT

From: Chris White <chris_at_...>
Date: Tue, 12 Aug 1997 12:16:39 -0700

> > Pretty close, the Epee use the entire body as target area and the Sabre
> > uses the body from the waist up as target area. The cross section of a
> > Sabre blade is about 1/2 inch x less than 1/8 inch.
>
> I thought the largest difference between epee and sabre was
> that the epee just had a pointy bit on the end, while the sabre had an
> actual blade running down the length as well (both imaginary, of
> course). So a legal hit with the sabre included striking with the
> edge of the blade, while epee didn't have any slashing attacks.
>
> Mark

For modern fencing, yes the Epee is a point weapon, the Sabre is a point
and an edge weapon. In SCA Rapier combat the Epee can be used for what is
called a draw cut. The blade is laid onto the opponent and the edge is
drawn across the opponent. The combination of different styles of attack
and the different target areas creates distinct styles for both weapons.
SCA Rapier is closest to Epee in its target area and attack styles.

- Michael

        I haven't fenced since college; this thread makes me thirst for blood again!!!

        Er, I mean canvas... thirst for canvas?

Nickles