RE: [Epic] OFF TOPIC - SCA/COMBAT

From: Chris White <chris_at_...>
Date: Tue, 12 Aug 1997 08:10:22 -0700

Parts of the SCA does rapier combat as well, (That would be fencing to
the=
 out side world, BTW).

Sortof, it's a mutant form of fencing, i.e. non-lin=
ear. Something I would like to try, but most SCA fighting is severly biased=
 toward the extremly large people.

        There are three types of fencing: Foil=
, which uses a straight, square in cross section blade and uses only the to=
rso as a target area; Epee', which uses a heavier, triangular cross section=
 blade with the entire upper body as a target area; and Sabre, which uses a=
 slightly curved blade (not sure of the cross section) and uses the entire =
body as a target for legal hits.

        As to SCA, I saw a guy who was five foot=
 nothing fighting Florentine style (two weapons) take out four opponents by=
 himself.

Nickles