Re: [Epic] The Hobby

From: Chris White <chris_at_...>
Date: Tue, 19 Aug 1997 09:08:34 -0700

>> Personally, I'm starting with the vehicles first, then moving on
to the
>> stands. Chaos has lots of models that are just big enough (Flesh Hounds,
>> Horrors, Bloodletters, etc.) that they require more attention than the
>> average stand yet are numerous enough to be a pain in my nether regions...
>
> Where did you get lesser daemons in this day & age?
>GWUK?
        <snip>

        No, actually, I answered an add at the Trading Post. Anthony (the guy who
is letting his friend use his net access for the huge Auction; small
world...)was looking to get out of Epic and into 40K. My car had been
broken into and most of my Marines stolen, so I traded the remnants of my
chapter for some stuff. Lesser demons and engines of Khorne, mostly, with
some stands of Traitors and Beastmen thrown in until GW gets off it's butt
and releases some new sprues...An LoB too, can't leave the field to my
opponent's Warlord.

        This actually puts me in the mood for a rant (missed my coffee this
morning): Looking at all the pictures GW has published as examples of things
to come, and then looking at back issues of WD, I've noticed that the
models are the same! I looked at the models that I got in trade and noticed
that that the Chaos Marines are the same, too, right down to their little
horns. Obviously, they aren't redoing them all; they must have stacks of
sprues just lying around waiting to ship. So where are they?

        (Cut to scene in my imagination):

        Me: So where are they?

        GW: Wellll, we want to make sure that the products are up to snuff. But
you DO want to play, don't you?

        Me: Yes.

        GW: Do you?

        Me: Umm, sure...

        GW: Really? I don't believe you...

        Me: No, really, I'm a fairly loyal supporter of your products. I even play
WHFRP, which you guys orphaned...

        GW: Well then, if you're really excited about playing you should spend
your money on the armies we have released now, even if you don't like them
or want play with them, and then spend MORE of your dwindling rent money on
the stuff you really wanted later...

        Me:(Zombie-like glaze over eyes) Yesss, spend more money...

<Rant complete>

> I actually enjoyed painting the lesser daemons a
>lot more than painting the little scrubs. They're fairly
>large & undetailed, so for me it was just a matter of
>slapping on a base color, drybrushing, and then adding in
>the details (swords, teeth, tentacles, whatever). While
>the little schmucks don't look very good if you paint
>them a single color + highlights, and they're small, hard
>to pick out detail on, etc etc.

        I'll try that...I was going with the techniques I learned for 40K, shading
up and all that, and it was just so SLOWWWW!!!

>> BTW, any good suggestions for Chaos color schemes? Black and red
and white
>> is all well and good, but it's BORING!!
>
> I hear blue & yellow is nisssse....

        Do you start off using, say, blue spray paint, or do you spray primer and
then hand paint the rest? I used to primer by hand (40K scale) to sort of
"preview" the details I wanted to pick out later, but quickly abandoned
this technique for E40K. (My hand cramped and my eyes crossed)

        <stuff between snips by:>

>Scott
>shupes_at_...
>Chaos Magus of Tzeentch