Re: [Epic] The Hobby

From: Eric Harding <omegas_at_...>
Date: Wed, 20 Aug 1997 06:08:07 -0700

At 09:04 AM 8/19/97 -0400, you wrote:
>Ken Taborek wrote:
>>
>> > It's a *GAME*. That's all, nothing less. And to those who would
>> > never play me
>> > because I haven't painted my army, I say fine. I bet that there are
>> > more people
>> > out there with unpainted armies that completely painted, and I'll be
>> > more than
>> > willing to watch as their unprimered hordes attack mine. Because
>> > while, yes,
>> > painting the miniatures adds volumes to the game, it is not required
>> > to have a
>> > good time while playing.
>>
>> I can't agree with you.
>> I have one "main" Ork opponent. He is the guy who I got into this
>> game
>> with, along with another buddy. We each bought a box, and swapped our
>> unwanted minis and built some huge armies that way.
>> He began painting his orks after I had begun my Marines. He quickly
>> built
>> a rather impressive hoard, and one I consider to be painted better
>> than my
>> Marines. He easily has more stuff painted than me. His look alot
>> like
>> yours sound, three main colors.
>> He would paint one hoard a night, since they would all use the same
>> color
>> scheme. In around a months time, he was done. And his total time
>> invested? Around five evenings. Not a huge investment of time.
>
> This really depends on what kind of painter you are.
>Some of us (myself included) are painfully slow, and made even
>slower by frequent mistakes that need to be corrected. I find
>the whole thing pretty grueling, and now that I have no regular
>opponents I can hardly ever work up the enthusiasm to paint.
>
> If you are capable of painting up an army in a week,
>that's great, but you should also recognise that not everyone
>is similarly gifted.

Then, of course, there are people like me, who have physical difficulties (I
have 60% nerve damage in both hands), and therefore really just plain suck
at painting. My figures look better unpainted by the time I finish with
them. Except my ultramarines, who are simply spray painted and based.
Lucky the local gamers around here don't really seem to care about painted
figures, at least in my case.

Those people who refuse to play against people who don't have the
time/skill/ability to paint up mass troopers in short amounts of time, seem
to be missing out on a lot of good players.

Now, if I can only figure out how to beat that all Harly Jetbike army, I'd
be happy.

Eric