RE: [Epic] Canada in Epic

From: Miller, Chris <CMiller_at_...>
Date: Wed, 20 Aug 1997 10:56:09 -0500

>> True enough, although it must be said that the Commonwealth forces'
>> inexperience with jungle fighting was another nail in the coffin.
>
> I didn't think that anyone had experience of jungle fighting at
>that stage of the war apart from the Japanese and some of the local
>forces (ie the Malays themselves, though I don't think there were many of
>them at all were there? and they would have been pretty green I imagine
>(talking about Singapore here not Hong Kong))
>
>Thanks,
> Tony.

-=----> Whoa, I'm back

Actually, at the beginning of the war, even the Japanese were not
specially
trained in jungle and guerilla warfare - they learned by doing as well.
Several more modern books shred this theory of japan's superior training
and background, etc. A lot of the native troops were far better at it
than the japanese ( home turf and all that), and for a time they learned
from them, until they alienated them with bad treatment.

Chris Miller