[Epic] Slow

From: Tyler Provick <bprovick_at_...>
Date: Wed, 20 Aug 1997 11:59:42 -0400

Has anyone else noticed that there are not as many posts as there usualy is?
It's like the list is deserted or something. (Somebody say dessert? Shaddup!)
Anyway, I guess I'll have to post a bunch of stuff to make it look like
there are actually people here. (Noooooooo! Shaddup I said)

First thing, hmmm. What is everybodies opinion about bike basing rules?
Right now I've only got the boxed set, so the bikes I have add up to two
units with 2 bikes left over. I don't consider this very usefull. (I also
have 3 heavies and 2 sergeants) so I've decided to use them as individual
bike units, otherwise I don't have enough points to even touch 1000, and
considering that the orks easily surpassed that, I took it as a matter of
life and death for the Imperium. Since we are on the topic of whether or not
to allow un-painted armies to play, what about proxies. You know, the guys
who has a few orks painted up in his Marine colours subing in as some other
unit, like using the ork shokk attack gun as a tarantula. I personally feel
it is kinda cheap, especially if the whole army is used this way. Why, I
remember me and my brother played a game of wh40k, with him using tape cases
as bikes. (The ones with the big autocannons on the sides. Waaagh-tape
cases!) It was a fun game, and I wrecked his bikes (Because they weren't
real bikes, and the Chaos Gods (The ones that rule the dice, not WH) decided
they should die.

So, really, if you were in a situation where you and a friend wanted to play
a game using troops neither of you had, would you proxie because the game is
supposed to be fun, not a show of who has the most disposable income? Or
would you wait until you could purchase the models, paint them, and lose
that one night you were all geared up to use them?

I myself am very impatient. For example, I told myself I would slowly build
up money so that I could purchase Epic 40K at the end of the summer. But I
wanted it, and the more I planned on how to save the money, the more I
wanted it. I couldn't sleep, thinking what to paint them. I surfed the net
for information on it. I had Epic fever. So I went into money making
high-gear, even rolled coins found in the washing room and under the couch
cushions. Then the day came, I had enough. I was going to buy Epic!. So I
hopped the bus, cashed the coins, and purchased the game from the astounded
store owner. (Usually when I go in there I just look and sigh and say, I
wish I had a job.) Seeing as he is a nice guy, he hasn't kicked me out yet,
but I like to buy all my gaming needs from there. I subtly dropped the word
that an internet was advertising Epic for 40 something, which, while being
in American, would still put me under the cost around here. GW sells the
game for 100, and my friend sells his for 90. Remember folks, this is
Canadian, not American. He mumbled something about appreciating the
business. I let it pass because of the look on his face. I came in, asked
him about the game. If it was popular, took it down, looked at it. Walked
over to the counter without it, asked him how much it was after tax. (Which
I always do, even if I don't buy, when I buy I pull out my school
calculator, and do the math myself, saving him the trouble, and me having to
annoy him all the time.) He replied, 103.50. I pulled out my wallet,
withdrew 103.50, and said, yes sir, I think I'll buy it. His eyes bugged out
so far I thought they'd land on my money. (His money now) Ahh, it was a
beautiful day.

I think that was boring enough that it'll kick start you into posting some
more. Either that or I'll tell you about the time I almost bought Space Marine.

Tyler