Re: [Epic] Paint stripper.

From: Mike Stachowski <mlstack_at_...>
Date: Mon, 25 Aug 1997 22:37:13 -0400

Howdy,
    I've had a bit of experience doing this <stripping paint and rebasing>
and here's what I've found.

    For stripping I've found that any household cleaner <liquid> that
claims to "cut grease" will remove acrylic water based paints. Some
do the job better then others and have less effect on the figure
themselves. So try what you have laying around on a couple figures
and see what happens.

   As for removing figures from the old square bases, the only sure way
I've found is brute force. Take your snippers that you use to remove
plastics from sprues and clip around each individual figure as close
to the round base as possible. Then you have 2 options depending
on how important the figure is to you. 1 is go for broke and try and
snip off the remaining small piece of base on the bottom of the figure
with the cutters. This works best with a sharp cutter and a base that
wasn't "flooded" with plastic cement. Sometime the base pops right
off cleanly, other time you trash the figure. 2nd option is a emery
board and patience, keep filing till the figure will fit into the new
bases.

  Myself I went with the former option and achieved about 75% success,
ruining only 1 in 4 models. Your mileage may vary.

   I did try some products to disolve the plastic cement but all of them
also did a number on the figure themselves whether or not they worked.
I'd be interested to hear of anyone having luck disolving a plastic cement
bond.

 Hope this helps!

Later, Mike S.

| Magic/Middle Earth/ASL/Up Front/World in Flames/ |Computers make|
| Mike Stachowski: Games R Me |very fast, |
| Email: mlstack_at_... |very accurate |
|History o/t World/Necromunda/Warhammer-FB/40K/Quest|mistakes. |